Second draft of the ECT restrictions.

General discussion about Warhammer Fantasy Battles
honorandglory
Warboss
Warboss

Second draft of the ECT restrictions.

Postby honorandglory » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:53 pm

http://www.rankingshq.com/etc/article.a ... icleId=218

The only problems I really see with this is the unit size caps, and the one rank getting rid of steadfast.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VS2
Notable changes include:
- Dropping the steadfast removal
- Introducing a general shooting restriction
- Increased unit size limit

These changes are based on the feedback given here and on captains' feedback. As far as we can tell, the general restrictions are now in line with the wishes of the majority.

A lot of the (rather few) objections to the proposed magic system seem to derive from not understanding how it works. An explanation is forthcoming.

What remains is to tighten up the army specific restrictions. We ask you to play some games with these rules and give us feedback on which armies/units/items need additional restricting. Feel free to suggest how to restrict as well.

Mixed units will be dealt with seperately (in army-specific restrictions), but we have not had time to do this properly. You are welcome to make suggestions here as well.

An update on mixed units and LOS system will follow in the near future.

We are aware that the language in this document is not bullet-proof. The main reason for this is to keep the document as short and simple as possible. You should be able to "connect the dots". If not, we will clear it up in a FAQ, rather than to clutter the AR itself.

Without any further ado:
Rules changes:
- Characters will get "look out sir" versus the following spells that automatically kill models or automatically remove an entire regiment: Dwellers Below, Final Transmutation, Dreaded 13th, Infernal Gateway 11-12 effect. Normal requirements for lookout sir apply.

General Restrictions:
2400 Points.
No Special or Named Characters.
Army used can be any of the currently published GW Army books. Chaos Dwarves and DoW definatly gone?
A maximum of 3 identical core choices may be taken (regardless of equipment and other upgrades)
A maximum of 5 warmachines may be taken per army
Max. 45 models with missile weapons with a range of 20”+ (not incl. war machines, characters and chariots).
Unit sizes of are limited as follows:
- Non-infantry units (including monstrous infantry): Maximum 16 models/unit
- Infantry costing 5 points or less: Maximum 50 models/unit
- Infantry costing 6-9 points: Maximum 40 models/unit
- Infantry costing 10 points or more: Maximum 30 models/unit

Magic Restrictions:
- Apart from Winds of magic and Channeling, an army may only generate 2 PD/DD per magic phase.
- You may have units/abilities that actually would generate more than 2 extra dice, but any excess dice are lost
- Some magic items/abilities count as generating dice toward this limit.
- “Count as” items/abilities may never exceed a cumulative 2PD/DD per phase. This means that if you take the power scroll, you may not take any other items that “count as adding PD/DD”
- All modifers are applied from the army list and will not change during the game.

Item restrictions:
- Power Scroll counts as generating 2 PD and 2 DD each magic phase
- Each Loremaster ability counts as generating 1 PD each magic phase
- Anything item that auto-dispels a spell counts as generating 1 DD each magic phase.
- Folding Fortress is not allowed

Army Specific Restrictions:
Beastmen: No Restrictions
Bretts: Trebuchet is a 0-1 choice
Dark Elves: Hydra is a 0-1 choice. Max. 35 repeater Crossbows in the army
Dwarves: Each spellbreaker/spelleater rune counts as "one item". Anvil of doom counts as warmachine; Grudge Throwers are a 0-2 choice; Max +4 dispel dice instead of +2
DOC: Flamers are a 0-1 choice. Siren Song may only be taken once
Empire: Steam Tank counts as 2 warmachines; Tank, Rocket battery and Engineers are a 0-1 choice
High Elves: Book of Hoeth counts as generating +2PD and +2 DD; Shard and Crystal as +1DD/phase
Lizards: Salamanders are a 0-1 Choice; Terradons, Chameleon Skinks and Stegadons (any kind) are 0-2 choices; Beclaming Cogitations counts as generating +1 PD and +2DD/phase, Cupped hands as +2PD/phase.
Ogres: No Restrictions
O&G: No Restrictions
Skaven: Hell Pit Abomination is a 0-1 choice; Gutter runners are a 0-2 choice; Engineers are a 0-3 choice
Vampires: Wraiths and Varghulf are 0-1 choices
TK: No restrictions
WE: Wand of Wych Elm counts as generating +1 DD/phase
Warriors of Chaos: Hellcannon is a 0-1 choice. Infernal Puppet counts as generating +1 PD and +2DD /phase; Tendrils of Tzeench and Conjoined Homunculus both count as generating +1 PD/Phase.
Last edited by honorandglory on Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GT Record
Who the hell cares.
Winning at Warhammer is important, VERY important. It shows the entire universe how big your little toy soldiers' pee-pees are.

GOD WILLS IT

Tonight we dine in HELL
SkavenInAZ
Hordemaster
Hordemaster

Re: First draft of the ECT restrictions.

Postby SkavenInAZ » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:07 am

Makes Skaven unplayable... only 40 man bricks at best and only 4 of the same unit type... they wouldn't be able to fit their minimum core hardly.
RangerRob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby RangerRob » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:35 am

It is a pretty heavy comp system that really feels like a different game to me, I would not be interested in playing with those restrictions myself.
iandimitri

Postby iandimitri » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:26 am

Seems a little detailed for 8th being so new. It definately changes the game to an almost new game.
Ninja Goblin
Warboss
Warboss

Postby Ninja Goblin » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:43 am

This edition is pretty balanced itself. I think they missed some points and over punished several others that were not truely needed. The rule set is not the problem it is the army books overriding certain rules. Although I do like that disruption breaks steadfast idea. If you just remember they are only steadfast if they have more rank bonus than you...I have 3 and you have 3 means you run like normal!
They missed alot of nasty items too, from what I have seen that seems to be what tips the scales.
Yes, I'm a ninja. No, I won't show you my moves.
I do not sleep, I wait.... It's a ninja thing, you wouldn't understand.
SkavenInAZ
Hordemaster
Hordemaster

Postby SkavenInAZ » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:10 am

Ninja Goblin wrote:This edition is pretty balanced itself.

I disagree with this assertation... I think it's rather balanced in our group and locally.. I do not think it's going to be a balanced edition.. I just don't think people have broken it around here yet, as we don't have anyone fanatically GT obsessed. But we're starting to see it already.. people showing up with 50 man bricks, etc. I think it's only a matter of time until someone rolls in with 200 man bricks, etc... and does the points denial game. Again, not locally, but in some of the major tournaments, etc..

I rather consider this edition of Fantasy the dumbed down version. Not just in rules and such, but also in tactics. I'll place my 200 man unit of Halberdiers here, wait for you to charge it, and then hit you in the flank with something. Or, you don't charge it, and I just use a Stank and cavalry and war machines to kill 100 points of your army and win the game anyways. It doesn't take rocket science to do this sort of thing with most armies. This sort of thing is also why ECT banned the stupid Fortress, because it totally ruins any chance of winning against this style of army.

This is why IGT's are going to have to change the game with this style of comp system to have any chance of there being a fun style game. Otherwise it's going to come down to who can economically afford this style of army. I don't think the fact that I make more money than you should impact me beating you in a game. I'm ok with it IRL, though ;)
Ninja Goblin
Warboss
Warboss

Postby Ninja Goblin » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:17 am

The only way the big bricks are broken is when they are stubborn or unbreakable. If I have at least 3 ranks you are not steadfast. There are a ton of ways to rack up combat res and break the unit. The tower thing I agree completely with though that is not only not fun but straight broken.
Ninja Goblin
Warboss
Warboss

Postby Ninja Goblin » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:19 am

Unkillable stuff is stupid too as you get no points. But instead of saying you cannot take x unit say you get half vps for them if you kill half the models etc.
SkavenInAZ
Hordemaster
Hordemaster

Postby SkavenInAZ » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:27 am

Ninja Goblin wrote:The only way the big bricks are broken is when they are stubborn or unbreakable. If I have at least 3 ranks you are not steadfast. There are a ton of ways to rack up combat res and break the unit. The tower thing I agree completely with though that is not only not fun but straight broken.

I'm steadfast if I have more ranks than you.. not rank bonus. A skavenslave unit, 5 wide x 20 deep will be steadfast until the end of the world. Even hitting in the flanks, that doesn't entirely fix that problem. You'll never kill it and you'll rarely break it. And it's only 400 points and you have to dedicate half your army to try to deal with it sitting in an objective. Good luck.
SkavenInAZ
Hordemaster
Hordemaster

Postby SkavenInAZ » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:33 am

And pray you don't play them in watchtower or you're toast.