Games Workshops new policies, and my feelings on them.

General discussion about Warhammer 40k
triforceelf
Grunt
Grunt

Games Workshops new policies, and my feelings on them.

Postby triforceelf » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:21 pm

As many of you probably already know, Games Workshop has become increasingly claustrophobic and money grubbing, and has actually initiated policies that could have severe negative impacts on our local stores, and ultimately the hobby itself. I urge anyone who cares about the future of any of GW's product lines to contact the company and ask them to support brick and mortar stores as well as online retailers so that we can continue to enjoy their products for many years to come.

The letter I wrote:

I want to start this off by saying that I am a huge fan of Games Workshops product lines, especially 40k. I have really enjoyed the hobby and the lore, and hope to see many more 40k products (especially more tau products!)

That said, I am not sure I want to continue to support your company because you no longer seem to want to support the businesses where I purchase your products and play games, and you seem to consider myself to be an imbecile As a company, you seem to be dead set on sabotaging businesses that can grow and help your company instead of offering them opportunities to increase your own profits.

Stopping online retailer is frankly, foolish. I understand wanting to increase profit margins, but riddle me this: Do you or do you not make money off online sales, regardless of who sells the product? Yes, I am sure you make more money when I buy from your online store. But I have little to no desire to buy from your store, because of exorbitant shipping costs, frequent product delays on special order items, and the fact that I can buy your products at my local brick and mortar stores for the exact same price.

Having items I can get only through your website is fine, but you seem to be taking this to far. I would rather direct order with the local store and pass on the slim profit margin to them as a thank you, because without a local store, I wouldn't be purchasing your product. They need the revenue to stay open and provide a place for me to meet and play, and robbing them of that would cause me to buy less, not more. The best example for this is the new Death From the Skies book. Why was my local retailer not notified of this? Why was there no local store copy for me to page through and see if I was interested in it like the new codex's or White Dwarf? By the time my local retailer is actually going to get this book, I will no longer have interest in buying the book.

Which brings me to the next point: letting customers know about new products. If I were to know the new tau models were coming out, I would be more likely to buy more tau models. I have a finite pool of resources, and if I know to save up to buy new models I will spend more money on them. If I've already spent that money on a competitors game (which I have, by the way), I can no longer afford to purchase tau models for a long time. And since I have bought into that competitors game, when I do have money, I have to choose which hobby and company I am going to support. And right now, it is far, far more attractive to support that competitor. They communicate with their customer base better, offer multiple online retailer outlets that can cater to a variety of my needs, support the store where I play, and even let me know about cool new things that are coming down the pipeline months ahead of their release.

In short, as a costumer, I am asking you to be more open and supportive of both myself, the brick and mortar stores where I play, and the online retailers that I frequent. If you continue your current, insular tread of selfish greed and short sighted decision making, I will no longer buy your products because I can have a more fulfilling and enjoyable experience with another company's line than I can with yours.

Sincerely,

--
triforceelf
onecooldad
Warchief
Warchief

Re: Games Workshops new policies, and my feelings on them.

Postby onecooldad » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:12 pm

Greetings:

Except for a few errors in grammar, your letter is quite well written; it makes some very good points.

My question for you now is: To Whom Are You Going To Send This Letter?

Jervis Johnson? Or the Editor of White Dwarf Magazine? One of the corporate people in the UK? GW's CEO? Distributors of GW product here in the US?

ALL OF THE ABOVE ?!?

If this letter just to "vent" some (understandable) outrage at current GW policies, that's fine. BUT if you are really going to try to get someone(s) in a position(s) of power to actually consider what you have to say, you are going to have to make sure it has the potential of being read by as many decision-makers as possible.

My question is not retorical. I really would like to know what you are going to do with your letter. You're not the only one displeased with GW's policies.

Please respond!

Thanks,
ocd 8)
I USED TO ROLL THE DICE, FEEL THE FEAR IN MY ENEMIES' EYES...

VIVA LA VIDA (Coldplay)
cyrax89
Warboss
Warboss

Postby cyrax89 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:15 am

If you don't like the policies and want to show GW don't buy their products. Try supporting different game systems. I recommend Bolt Action, or Dystopian Wars.
Lightningman
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Lightningman » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:14 pm

onecooldad wrote:Greetings:

Except for a few errors in grammar, your letter is quite well written; it makes some very good points.

My question for you now is: To Whom Are You Going To Send This Letter?

Jervis Johnson? Or the Editor of White Dwarf Magazine? One of the corporate people in the UK? GW's CEO? Distributors of GW product here in the US?

ALL OF THE ABOVE ?!?

If this letter just to "vent" some (understandable) outrage at current GW policies, that's fine. BUT if you are really going to try to get someone(s) in a position(s) of power to actually consider what you have to say, you are going to have to make sure it has the potential of being read by as many decision-makers as possible.

My question is not retorical. I really would like to know what you are going to do with your letter. You're not the only one displeased with GW's policies.

Please respond!

Thanks,
ocd 8)

+1
triforceelf
Grunt
Grunt

Postby triforceelf » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:18 pm

I sent my letter to GW's customer service branch, as well as their corporate office. I don't know where else I can send it too where the information is publicly available, but if you know I would mail them a copy as well.

And yes, I've picked up a new system. Privateer Press can have my monies for now.
NightLordsOldtimer
Warboss
Warboss

Postby NightLordsOldtimer » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:57 pm

I believe that in the front few pages of the new style White Dwarf they list their address. You could send your letter to the Editor, Jes Bickham, and Jervis Johnson is always inviting folks to write in to him about anything, and promises that he reads every letter he gets. "The squeaky wheel", and all that... If enough of them hear from you & folks who feel like you do, then they're more likely to sync up and start to get the message...

You can stop by Empire Games and ask to look at the store copy of WD and write down the address...

Just a thought... Enjoy your new hobby! :-)
A bad day of gaming beats a good day of work (or school) every time!
IonControl
Warchief
Warchief

Postby IonControl » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:08 pm

cyrax89 wrote:If you don't like the policies and want to show GW don't buy their products. Try supporting different game systems. I recommend Bolt Action, or Dystopian Wars.

Vote with your dollars.
Where are you playing Bolt Action? What scale are you using?
I'm IonControl, and I approve this message.
cyrax89
Warboss
Warboss

Postby cyrax89 » Mon May 06, 2013 3:38 pm

Gonna be playing at IO in the coming weeks.
NightLordsOldtimer
Warboss
Warboss

Postby NightLordsOldtimer » Mon May 06, 2013 10:33 pm

Not to get too off-topic, but since you're suggesting alternative gaming systems, I suggest watching the battle report of Drop Zone Commander on bluetablepainting's YouTube channel from a few days ago (at Valhalla). At first it looked a bit confusing, but then I caught the gist of what was going on, and it looks really interesting! It's a 10mm scale game, but set about 700 years in the future. You can also go to www.hawkwargames.com to check out the factions, models & prices.

I'm not ready to jump into it (yet), as I'm still pretty focused on 40K, but it looks like a lot of fun. Also looks like they've got "bundles" that actually provide you with a discount; various sized armies for different prices. Prices are all in GB Pounds Sterling, so keep in mind that it's about $1.51 or so per £ right now, and I don't know what shipping would be like, but I think we'll be hearing more and more about this game in the future...
A bad day of gaming beats a good day of work (or school) every time!
cyrax89
Warboss
Warboss

Postby cyrax89 » Tue May 07, 2013 2:25 pm

Both Imperial Outpost and Game Depot stock Drop Zone Commander. It is very reasonably priced and tons of fun to play, I am just not a fan of the scale.