No Thunderhawk Left Behind. Thunderhawk Gunship restoration

Painting, Modeling, Terrain - anything to do with the 'Hobby' side
Apocalyptic
Warchief
Warchief

No Thunderhawk Left Behind. Thunderhawk Gunship restoration

Postby Apocalyptic » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:16 pm

I recently came into possession of a thunderhawk. Now my first thought was I should flip it this kit is known for being a huge headache to assemble correctly and its not amazing in the Imperial Armour books.
And with the building of my iron warriors legion and the new rules in the Crusade Army List I can run what amounts to a 13/13/13 hp9 thunderhawk due to flare sheilds, ramjet grid and void-crafted hull.
I figured I would make my friends cry a little with a surprise at the next Apoc game.
I still might end up selling it after its all said and done but how often does someone get to do a Thunderhawk, I had to take the challenge

A awesome looking model when done up right, or in the case of the one I acquired a giant ball of resin wrapped in unmixed greenstuff. And I am not kidding literally every major component from the wings to the fuselage where held together with greenstuff, and not the normal cured green hard greenstuff no that would hold together well this was literally unmixed jammed in and painted over greenstuff. So much so I was able to disassemble the entire model with less than 5 lbs of pressure, downside a gum like mess of yellow and blue gunk over every part.

Here are some pics after it is disassembled.

Luckily the kit is complete with the exception of the thunderhawk cannon, which is no biggie since I am planning to run it with the turbo laser anyway.
The heavy bolter turrets are in need of heavy repair and one of the wing let lascannons is missing a barrel, no biggie.

So Step 1 will be stripping the model:
I use Castrol Super Clean its a big purple jug often found at walmart in the automotive section. Make sure to wash you're hands after comeing in contact with it as it will cause minor chemical burns if you do not.
It does slightly stain resin but it does a amazing job at killing paint.

And into plastic tubs:

Ill update after the stripping is done.
Lightningman
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Re: No Thunderhawk Left Behind. Thunderhawk Gunship restorat

Postby Lightningman » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:17 am

I do so enjoy these project posts. Looking forward to seeing the progress. How long do you soak in that stuff? I have always used simple green despite the smell but it often needs two passes.
Apocalyptic
Warchief
Warchief

Re: No Thunderhawk Left Behind. Thunderhawk Gunship restorat

Postby Apocalyptic » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:33 pm

I let it soak about a week, scrub it then put it in the ultrasonic with water and simple green to get the last of it.