Questions about Airbrushes?

Painting, Modeling, Terrain - anything to do with the 'Hobby' side
TookeyTookey
Grunt
Grunt

Questions about Airbrushes?

Postby TookeyTookey » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:21 pm

So I am trying to paint a Venerable dread, I am tired of my brushes fraying and spreading out over usage as well as paint looking garbage.

I also do not want to spend a lot on an airbrush (around $200 or less) as right now I am not good enough for commission work and so just need one good enough to make clean, flat and smooth paints.

The main usage will be for base coating the major colors and maybe secondary colors, also possibly detail work for semi details. I have something in mind from walmart http://www.walmart.com/ip/Badger-CRESCE ... y/39103936 This is something I was looking at and in my range Im looking to spend. My question is, is this good? Will this work?

Also, can I use the GW paint pots to mix with water or something to work with the airbrush? Mainly because of color matching I dont wanna switch paints on this army.

For my fantasy army I get, waht paints would you recommend to use for airbrushes that will stick to the models just fine?
captofthe8th
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Re: Questions about Airbrushes?

Postby captofthe8th » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:49 pm

Those are all good questions.

I'll see if I can help. There are lots of better painters and airbrushers out there than I am, hopefully they can chime in too.

First off for actual airbrushes, I would strongly recommend a gravity fed brush, meaning the cup is on top of the brush and gravity pulls the paint into the brush to be sprayed. They work way better than the siphon fed brush you have in the webpage you posted. They are much harder to keep working right in my opinion. Beyond that, most airbrushes will do a good job of basecoating and doing some secondary colors. I personally have a badger airbrush, the renegade krome. It works really well for me and it's probably a better airbrush than I need. But badger makes lots a good and affordable utility airbrushes, similar to what you need.

Next is the air compressor, which makes a big difference in how your painting goes. The one that you have listed there looks like an identical copy to my own, and I love it. The only issue is that the motor can get pretty hot during long painting sessions. I have a floor fan that I run to help cool it. You want it to have a tank to store air, rather than one that has a continuously running motor. I had one of those and it was a hassle.

As far as paints go, there are lots of different options. I use the minitaire brand from badger and it's amazing for me. There is also Vallejo model air that a lot of pros use. I never have. I also use some generic airbrush paint from hobby lobby, they have big bottles of black and white for good prices, then you can mix any shade of grey from that and store it in extra bottles. As for using GW, or P3 for that matter, paints in an airbrush, you will have to thin the paints down. I have used a 1:1 windex to water mix that was ok. I have read about an alcohol to distiller water mix on a pro painters site. There is dedicated airbrush paint thinner to be found all over the web. You could also use a straight water to think the paint, but that could mess with how well the paint lays down. Windex and alcohol are good because the evaporate quickly and don't stay wet on the model and don't dilute the pigment to cause spidering of the paint when it gets sprayed.

As an aside, I also use a drying retarder when I airbrush because Az air is so dry. When the paint sprays out of the nozzle it dries on the needle tip and starts to gum it up. It can block paint flow completely or create weird spray patterns. Eventually it means more time cleaning your brush than painting. So that's something to think about too.

I started with a kit like this and it worked great for basecoating 40k tanks and once try models. It saved so much time on my red Blood Angels. The first time i used it I was sold.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/390593716868?nav=SEARCH

Hope that helps. If you have any more questions feel free to ask here or pm me.
Lightningman
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Lightningman » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:21 pm

I'll second what was said about gravity feed being critical.

I have an Iwata eclipse and it is exactly what I needed. It is just fine enough to do base coating and some semi-fine details with exhaust and camo and such but not too crazy.

On the compressor, I encourage you to look at the amount of noise it puts out and give some thought to how and when you want to use the brush. My compressor was a little more expensive but I can use it indoors at night with sleeping wife and kid.

I use mostly vallejo paints thinned for the brush. You can use purified water to thin them or I some times use a bit of rubbing alcohol so that the paint goes on and dries very quickly. Takes some practice to get the ratios right so practice on cardboard or something first.
NightLordsOldtimer
Warboss
Warboss

Postby NightLordsOldtimer » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:30 pm

Also, to add to these excellent comments, you want to be sure to get an airbrush that has a dual action trigger, not a single action. So with the dual action, you press down on the trigger to increase air flow from the compressor, and pull back on the trigger to widen the aperture at the tip and thus release more paint.., (Basically, by pulling back you're pulling the tip of the needle back, which lets more paint pass thru the now wider opening at the tip...).

It's worth investing in a decent airbrush, and a good to very good compressor, cuz once you get the hang of it, you'll use it more, and if you went cheap on the compressor you'll regret it...
A bad day of gaming beats a good day of work (or school) every time!
Abaddon
Warboss
Warboss

Postby Abaddon » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:52 am

I will agree on the points above. I now have an Iwata dual action airbrush ( got the 40% discount from hobby lobby). And I have a cheap compressor that will soon be replaced. I now do all of my basecoating with it and any of the painting posts that I have done over the last year here were all done with that airbrush. I will use both GW and P3 paints, but the ratios are very different as the GW stuff can be really thick sometimes. I am going to order a few of the primary basic colors of Vallejo Model Air from a site called slavetopainting.com - http://www.slavetopainting.com/products ... model-air/ . I want to give them a test run as soon as I get back to painting.

My great find was these dropper bottles that I bought from Walmart, and I buy bunches of them. When I mix my colors I also drop in a small glass bead so that when I shake it up it mixes better. If I remember to label them, or write on it with a sharpie that really helps. I will write the colors and % and the date and project name on them.

Lastly, cleaning is a bitch! Yes, I know just running the cleaner through it works between colors during a quick project, but I cannot stress enough the importance of breaking it down completely and giving it a thorough cleaning when you are done.

I hope some of this helps!
Mifsuud
Warchief
Warchief

Postby Mifsuud » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:25 pm

Don't forget a pressure regulator on the tank. Most new airbrushers use way too high a PSI setting. I generally use 14-16PSI. Never over 20 for me. Others use 20 as their baseline, there will be personal preference in setup.

For real cleaning you can get a sonic jewelry cleaner for the metal parts. They are awesome just make sure no rubber or teflon parts are left in the airbrush when using one. You can get this down the road if you enjoy using an airbrush.

Paint choice is again personal. Try to only use water base acrylics. Leave enamels and stuff alone, the safety required to use paints that use solvents to thin will double your costs and are mandatory.

The previously mentioned Badger Krome would be a tool for a lifetime. It's a really good airbrush. I strongly recommend looking at Badger products for first purchases for a number of reasons: moderately priced, range of options, and availability of parts. Iwata is more expensive for complete units and parts, they also have unique fittings/sizes compared to may other manufacturers but still have good availability. And you will need parts at some point. Damaged needle, lost cap, etc.
NightLordsOldtimer
Warboss
Warboss

Postby NightLordsOldtimer » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:10 am

@Mifsuud: Where can one pick up said sonic jewelry cleaner, and for about how much? I've tried searching Amazon, but no luck...

Thanks!
A bad day of gaming beats a good day of work (or school) every time!
Mifsuud
Warchief
Warchief

Postby Mifsuud » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:06 pm

Sorry, I should have said ultrasonic jewelry cleaner. Since you mentioned Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_sc_1?rh= ... 1410742428

And here's a video for info:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puMr0R087fU