army painter and GW spray paints

Painting, Modeling, Terrain - anything to do with the 'Hobby' side
Doodlekid00
Warchief
Warchief

army painter and GW spray paints

Postby Doodlekid00 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:20 pm

I'm thinking about getting some any painter Brown spray paint/primer just curious if anybody out there has any thoughts on their products if they are good or not. Also the games-worksop non primer spray colors as well.
Abaddon
Warboss
Warboss

Re: army painter and GW spray paints

Postby Abaddon » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:47 pm

If you're going to use it on models you aren't keeping for yourself then sure. Otherwise my experience has been that the paint is to heavy and compromises detail. Maybe others have had a different result.
KidFury
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Postby KidFury » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:14 pm

Havent used Army Painter but GW primers works well. Just make sure you shake it up really.
Egomine
Warchief
Warchief

Postby Egomine » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:25 pm

I use army painter primer on all my models now except my necrons. It is a great paint, matches GW pot colors. It is pricy but it is nice and smooth as long as you do not use it in the hot summer months.

I experienced no issues in detail loss.

I have bought and used the red, yellow, blue, green and brown.
Abaddon
Warboss
Warboss

Postby Abaddon » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:55 pm

Maybe I'll have to try them again. I'm just a big fan of using a cheap thin primer for $2 and painting what color I want from there.
Gman
Warchief
Warchief

Postby Gman » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:14 am

I have used the Army Painter spray and like them very much. For myself, the key to using them and liking the results was not to use it as a primer, but rather as a basecoat. It is a little thicker than a traditional spray primer. But as a basecoat, it's perfect.

To me that's the whole point of the various colored sprays. Not as a true primer, because you can use a cheap primer for that and then brush on a basecoat. But to me the point of them is to quickly get your army basecoated with a nice smooth spray. Then all you need is to paint the detail on.

Just my thoughts on it.
Russell the Muscle
Warchief
Warchief

Postby Russell the Muscle » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:49 pm

Well if your trying out methods of priming. I have been using Gesso for about a year now and haven't looked back. Check out this link http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso it will explain what gesso is and how it works. I use Bob Ross brand from Michaels. It's easy to use, just brush it on, so you don't have to worry about the weather when needing to prime miniatures.
Griffter
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Postby Griffter » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:11 pm

I buy camoflauge spray paint from Walmart. I think it's mossy oak brand. They have tan, brown, and two shades of green so it is a cheap way to get a flat spray for your army if you use those colors. I mostly use it for imperial scenery and at 3-4 dollars a can you can own all the colors for the price of one army painter
kodoth
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby kodoth » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:19 am

I use Krylon Ultra-Flat Camoflage colors for my primers. They work well. They have black, tan, khaki, light green, dark green, and brown. I just use Krylon Flat White for my white primers. These are all inexspensive alternatives to the model specific stuff.
DavidJamesson
Grunt
Grunt

Postby DavidJamesson » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:53 am

I just tried the Army Painter "fur brown" for a primer/basecoat on my Beastmen. It worked as well as any other spray paint that I've used, but it didn't seem like anything special. It had about the same coverage and detail as a can of Krylon. It goes on pretty glossy though, not matte like it says on the can.

I could see it being very handy if you were using it as a base coat and either painting with the old GW line of paints, or with some other line (maybe AP?) that color matched with the spray.

I haven't tried the GW spray paints yet.