New to Warhammer, Questions

General discussion about Warhammer Fantasy Battles
Fcrowles
Grunt
Grunt

New to Warhammer, Questions

Postby Fcrowles » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:36 pm

Hello! My interest had been sparked recently on the tabletop crave. I was really interested in Warhammer fantasy over 40k. I watched several youtube videos. I stopped by at the local Empire Games shop and they recommended I start Kings of War over 8th Edition or Age of Sigmar. I watched videos on both. The videos I enjoyed the most were of the warhammer fantasy. I really didn't enjoy the simplicity of Kings of War. I felt it took all the strategy out of the game by simplifying the rules and I really enjoyed the spell casting system in 8th edition. I liked the counter spell dice and the normal spell dice. I enjoyed a lot of the faction bonuses and such and the diversity of units and armies. However I really don't enjoy how Age of Sigmar has no unit cap. I feel that defeats the strategy of the game. All that being said, what version of tabletop would you recommend I get into? I live out in Gilbert near Queen Creek so I really don't have many stores near me. I also don't have any friends here so I have no one to get into the game with me. I was wondering which version has a good community I can find people to play with, has the same complexity of 8th edition, the point limit on armies and is fantasy based?

Also I was wondering if someone could give me a mini-synopsis of the different factions so I can get a good idea where to invest my money into or a good source I can find this information out myself. Also any other tips for getting started would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time!
Fcrowles
Grunt
Grunt

Re: New to Warhammer, Questions

Postby Fcrowles » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:47 pm

I decided to go with the Age of Sigmar after a lot of research and internal debate. However I am having one heck of a time deciding on a faction. ><
Julian
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Postby Julian » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:03 pm

I like Age of Sigmar as well, there are plenty of ways to make things even. I think the main difficulty will be in finding local players, I'm on the opposite side of the Valley from you in Peoria, I usually play at Imperial Outpost in Phoenix although there has not been much interest there either. I recently have been playing a bit more and seem to get interest when we play but its a tough time at the moment. I enjoy all aspects of the hobby so will collect and paint regardless but it is nice to play a game occasionally.

As far as faction pick one you like the feel of, the newer factions that have come out since Age of Sigmar are amazing models so I would recommend one of those. Although the new $85 starter sets are amazing deals regardless of the faction if one of those suits your taste. The nice thing with Age of Sigmar is you can buy the models you like and always find a use for them, 8th there were some cool models I never used/collected because they weren't effective enough for the points cost.
Bruno
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Bruno » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:32 pm

Don't sell Kings of War short they are two different type of games. KoW is a rank and file miniature game while AoS is a skirmish style game. The good thing is you can use the same miniatures for both games. There is also one more game on the market you might want to look at and that is Frost Grave. It is a skirmish game with a focus on campaign play rather then one off games. Just to add one more option.