So... if there are no points in Age of Sigmar?

General discussion about Warhammer Fantasy Battles
ds4502
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

So... if there are no points in Age of Sigmar?

Postby ds4502 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:24 am

Hey guys, I know there are several competitive WFB people on here. I was just curious, how can the game continue in the competitive side when there are no points costs for models? Is there anything stopping someone from bringing 500 models vs someone that brought 30?
SkavenInAZ
Hordemaster
Hordemaster

Re: So... if there are no points in Age of Sigmar?

Postby SkavenInAZ » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:33 pm

Lots of rumors still floating around... and we have no idea what else is to come.

COuld be the datasheets coming on the website will have all that in it. Could be that it's slated for an expansion. Could be never coming.

We don't know.. I'm hedging my bets and just investing smartly in my hobby until then. When it comes out, I'll be able to play without buying if I want to see if I like it.

If I don't' like it, I imagine it'll be Kings of War 2 or a community WHFB 8.5 project.

We'll have to see. Lots of commentary on the Youtubers Warhammer Fantasy community, might check that out to see what the WHFB as a whole is considering - https://plus.google.com/communities/108169253575872689070
Julian
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Postby Julian » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:37 pm

If you read the leaked rules if one side outnumbers the other by 1/3 the underdog can pick from a set of sudden victory conditions to win. I don't have them in font of me but they are select an enemy hero, wizard, or monster to kill, select a unit of more than five models to eliminate, have something on the board after 6 turns, there might be another as well so the underdog can set a condition that if achieved gives them the win.

Deployment seems to be one unit at a time until one player stops the other can continue but may have to be careful about outnumbering. I am not sure how that will stack up with Ogres vs goblins we will have to look at the warscrolls on Saturday when they go up on GW's page to see if there is any kind of balance.

I am always up for a friendly game that can be competitive and we can always agree on what seems like a fair number of units/models but not sure how TO's will handle it but I'm not really in the competitive scene yet as I just finished my army after getting back into the hobby after a break and don't have the options I need for a competitive 8th edition list (I just didn't want to paint that much of the same thing to get my big blocks built out)
Blue Collar
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Postby Blue Collar » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:10 pm

I am still in wait and see mode. I am going to give it a try on Sunday. My initial thought is to go by wound count. So those 30 models would add up to around the same number of wounds as the 500 models. That is without seeing any scrolls and doesn't take in the other stats. So it's not very balanced. I want to play 5 games with different lists before I decide the whole thing is garbage. :worried:

Michael
Bruno
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Bruno » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:58 am

Now the rules and scrolls are out and this version of Fantasy Battles looks interesting. Not having point values is something that I am use to playing Black Powder. I feel for the causal game this system will work fine but for organized events might be a bit different. You will most likely see something like wounds or model count for tournaments. The one thing that might unbalance some armies are the mounts and chariots. They are just free to take and will not count towards your model count or wound count and get the benefit of the mount. Could TO's use a set number of Warscrolls for tournaments as a better option.
Julian
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Postby Julian » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:05 am

Dunno I find the new warscrolls pretty interesting, They can be downloaded here: http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/age ... ompendiums

I think like any other game before Tournament Organizers will come up with rules to balance armies, I haven't seen an ad for a tournament that used the stock rules 'as is' that I can remember.
wilkinson73
Warboss
Warboss

Postby wilkinson73 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:56 pm

Not sure I'm liking the direction this is going. Rules aside the background for fantasy was rich and diverse. The stories engaging. The destruction of the old world was not a good idea in my opinion. Has it been confirm we d that this is a redo and nit just a spin off skirmish game?
dark_deco_fan
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Postby dark_deco_fan » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:24 pm

Sigmar = Party game. Just read some random special rules.
ds4502
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby ds4502 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:50 am

I was able to get a game in today and see another. We tried to do 50 wounds as an intro. This is NOT a good way to test the game. There was not enough on the table. We even played on a 4x4 and it felt empty. He was playing dwarves and I was playing beastmen. It was entertaining, but some of the special rules for stuff that does not matter in game are outright silly, fun but impractical. One special rule encourages your opponent to complain every hero phase to allow all dwarf units within 8 inches of your longbeards to re-roll 1's to wound in close combat. Another states "if your bear is longer or more magnificent then your opponent's beard, you get to re-roll failed to hit rolls in combat with your thane"(that means players). Battleshock tests were never really an issue as either one side or the other usually died outright in combat, but this was squads of 10 dwarves vs a doombull or a block of 5 minotaurs. It needs some serious limitations placed on what you can do for army composition. @ 4 wounds a minotaur with a great weapon has 2 attacks that get an additional attack on a to hit roll of a 6 which can generate further attacks, with a -2 armour save and dealing 3 damage each attack. The damage bleeds through models now, so each failed 6+ he was making after the rend modifiers was killing 3 dwarves.
iandimitri

Postby iandimitri » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:20 am

I read the Age of Sigmar rules and was dismayed. It seems unlikely the army construction rules I read can be anywhere close to what would be needed to even approach having game balance between lists. I have been waiting for the next edition of Warhammer since 8th came out. This is not the "Warhammer" of the past IMO. It is a new game. I have read several rumors about what the future holds for Warhammer and they are wildly different. It is disconcerting that Games Workshop is not giving clear information about what the future holds for their game.

I guess it is more waiting for me to see what the game develops into from this point. It does not look good.

July 10th, the 2nd edition of Kings of War is going to be released as a PDF. There will also be a printed book from what I can tell. Perhaps it will have to be KoW or some hybrid of Warhammer 7th edition for me.

Ian