So... if there are no points in Age of Sigmar?

General discussion about Warhammer Fantasy Battles
SkavenInAZ
Hordemaster
Hordemaster

Re: So... if there are no points in Age of Sigmar?

Postby SkavenInAZ » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:31 am

If GW ever does release more rules for AoS as a supplement, it wouldn't go back to 7th I do not think.. it' d be either entirely new or an upgrade of 8th.

If this never comes, I imagine I'd end up at KoW2.. I have that PDF for the beta for the rules already.. *shrug*
wilkinson73
Warboss
Warboss

Postby wilkinson73 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:35 am

I dont remember if i mentioned this before but the "not skaven" beta list is out for play testing. If you havent played kings of war before I can throw a demo for anyone interested. As an aside I still love warhammer fantasy battles. But as cool as the models are for AoS i'm not sure its going to be my cup of tea. I have a fair amount of skirmish games I play now. Id still be willing to play 8th ed even if its no longer being supported. Maybe if we could get a poll going to what local players are preferring to play? Then form a facebook group so we can all meet up for tournaments or decide on house rules.
SkavenInAZ
Hordemaster
Hordemaster

Postby SkavenInAZ » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:32 pm

I'll likely do whatever the community as a whole does, but I would like something with a competitive side to it.
ds4502
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby ds4502 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:49 pm

Unfortunately I am working for the next couple of days and will be unable to test out a large scale game (which I can only assume will be torturous due to the fact that all the models move independently in AoS). But, from what I understand, most of the WFB crowd is looking at the KoW game as a replacement. I really do hope that AoS gets cleaned up with a massive number of rules added to it. 4 pages... simple and full of loop holes and unanswered questions. It is very easy to exploit.
Blue Collar
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Postby Blue Collar » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:46 am

There is no reason not to use movement trays. Unless you like the look of skirmish formation. Also along those lines. There is no reason to bring large numbers of models. Just take 10 scrolls or more of large multi-wound models. You will get to use the sudden death rule and wipe out your opponent. Special Characters are even more overpowered and boring than any previous edition.

Michael
Abaddon
Warboss
Warboss

Postby Abaddon » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:30 pm

I dig it. With 40k getting ever more complex this is a breath of fresh air. I was greatly concerned and had my "bitter gamer face" in reserve waiting to be disappointed. Like most of you, I have been collecting, painting and playing for over 15yrs. I had to let go of the hopes this would be a new and improved version of whfb, cuz it ain't. As a new standalone game that is fast, fun and easy, I really like it. The fact that I will actually still have a use for the hundreds of models I've collected, even better. Sure for the tournament players in the community this will be problematic until T.O.'s figure out balancing mechanisms. In summary, no sour grapes here just optimism for what the future holds with this new game we've been given.
TJSKI

Postby TJSKI » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:48 pm

So,

I left WHFB around 5th edition, I started playing back with 1st edition. I had about 8 fully painted armies and WHFB was my main game.

Now as I look through the rules, it's making me want to get back into it, why, well that's a great question. After I left WHFB, I moved onto more historical games. As of a few years ago I started playing Black Powder by Warlord games. One thing that it does is that there are no points in the game. It's more about bringing your collections out and using them. Of course it does help to coordinate with your opponent before hand. These games without points are a blast, although it would never work for tournament play, hence why there are no Black Powder tournaments.

So I like that GW has simplified the rules and more importantly put them up for free! To me it looks like they are trying to get back to playing games with friends rather than have a tournament game.

So after years of not looking at WHFB, I am suddenly trolling the GW site thinking about buying and collecting GW models again. Dam their black hearts, they are trying to pull me back in!

Tim K
Julian
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Postby Julian » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:36 am

I played a few games this weekend some small and a couple larger ones and quite honestly had quite a bit of fun.

The trick was my opponent and I agreed ahead of time what we were bringing, x number of heroes with x number of wounds, x number of wounds of infantry etc.

If my opponent brought a monster I brought one or a couple of war machines and every game was close, so balance is pretty easy if you can play a friendly game. Sure you plop down 10 dragons vs my infantry, I personally will shake your hand and go find someone who wants to play a GAME not just win something.

There is some tactical depth to that requires a shift in thinking. Picking which unit to attack with in combat is extremely important when you have 4-5 to chose from. You might want to use your hero before he gets attacked himself, or maybe focus on one of his hardest hitting units to weaken them before they go as your opponent goes next.

Randomizing who goes first each round caught me off guard in one of my games, I sent my mounted general out after a lone wizard. Well my opponent got 2 turns in a row and not only blasted him with magic was able to move close enough to shoot him down completely with nothing I could do. This changes things dramatically.

I think tournament organizers will easily find a way to balance the game, personally I am enjoying it as is and are even painting up some minis that I picked up that looked cool that are useful now who would have never seen a table in 8th. If anyone wants to give it a try let m e know I'll be at Imperial Outpost on Saturday with my Dark Elves (a good mix of infantry, shooting, cavalry, war machines, and monsters so we can decide on a good matchup) and will also be picking up a boxed set since I like the look of the chaos minis, Sigmarites seem OK, Im not totally sold on them.
Black Templar
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Black Templar » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:00 am

Thanks for the honest feedback, folks.

I've been reading hate/heartbreak threads since the rules leaked and although I keep reading (like watching a trainwreck) I am sure that its not as bad as people were making it out to be.

Self-comp appears to be a 'must' ...but i'm OK with that. When I get a few games in I will post my experiences here as well.

-Jon
Ashes Nei
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Postby Ashes Nei » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:48 pm