My Hat's Games Battle Report

General discussion about Warhammer Fantasy Battles
Blue Collar
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

My Hat's Games Battle Report

Postby Blue Collar » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:37 pm

My list is just an altered version of the Swedish comp light council I posted a few months ago.

Archmage lvl 4 on light, Talisman of Preservation
Mage lvl 2 on light, Scroll of Sheilding
Mage lvl 1 on light, Dispel Scroll
Mage lvl 1 on light, Ironcurse Icon
Noble BsB, Armor of Caledor, Halberd

35 Spears full command, Banner of Discipline
24 Archers, Musician, Standard
5 Silverhelms with shields and full command
3 x 5 Reavers with Bows and Spears
10 Archers with Musician

18 Swordmasters Full command and Gleaming Pennant
1 Tiranoc chariot

3 Bolt Throwers
Blue Collar
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Re: My Hat's Games Battle Report

Postby Blue Collar » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:02 pm

Game 1 was against Chaos Dwarfs. I'm going off memory so the lists wont be super accurate.

lvl 4 on the CD lore, flying carpet and a 4+ ward and charmed sheild
lvl 1 Lore of Undeath
lvl 1 Lore of Undeath
3 Hobgoblin Khans on wolves

20 Infernal Guard with great weapons and full command. Might have been a BsB in this unit also.
20 Hobgoblins with bows and full command
20 Hobgoblins with bows and full command

1 Hellcannon
3 Flame cannons

1 K'daii Destroyer

He deployed on his back board edge ready to blast me as I advanced on him. However my strategy is kind of the same as his. So I deployed on my edge and as far away from the K'daii as possible.
Our vangaurds were made to zone each other out as best as possible except one of my Reaver units moved to reposition my line a bit.
He got the first turn and his Khans set up some double flee moves on my fast cav. and chariot. With another khan moving towards a bolt thrower. The rest of his line stayed put. In magic I let him raise a unit of zombies and dispelled Ashcloud which would prevent my light council from casting. They all tend to hang out in the big spear block. His artillery let rip. One flame cannon killed 4 fast cav. Another 4 archers from the small unit and 2 spearmen. The third might have fell short. The hellcannon got the direct hit on my big unit of archers and killed about 16 of them. I passed all my panic checks.

My turn one I declare the charges on the Khans with my chariot. Both declare flee and get away. My small unit of archers move up 5 inches to see the flying carpet wiz that was hiding behind terrain. I swift reform my spear bunker to back up and thin out my ranks to limit the template damage. My fast cav. move to shoot and set up chances to get at the lvl 1 death casters that were engineering his warmachines. My magic phase I 6 dice big version of Banishment to kill the K'daii. The miscast puts the big template on me and kills 10ish spearmen but my lvl 4 avoids the warp and preserves the wound. My magic phase ends with the rest of my dice drained away. My shooting phase the small archers take aim at his lvl 4 with the intention of taking out the charmed shield. I didn't know if he was using it but just in case I figured it was a good use of 6 shots. Turns out I guessed right at they succeeded in their mission. The rest of my shooting killed a khan and put a would on another.

CD's turn 2. The fleeing khans rally. And the Flying carpet moves up right in front of what is left of my big archers. One unit of hobgoblins moves forward to shoot at my chariot and fast cav. He also decides to start moving his Infernal Guard forward with no hope of reaching my lines. His firepower is better than mine but I have him outranged and he knew I wasn't planning on attacking now. His magic phases starts with more zombies that I let go. Then an Ashcloud on my boltthrower that I let go as well. Then he 3 dice irresistible a magic missile at it. The ashcloud also makes things flammable and his magic missile is flaming. He got one 6 which then doubles the wound to kill the bolt thrower. This causes the big archers to panic off the board. I didn't have a bsb reroll nearby so this was bad play on my part. His lvl 4 takes a wound from the miscast. Shooting phase he causes some wounds to a Reaver unit that panics back towards my lines and puts 2 wounds on the chariot and I think the small unit of archers gets hit leaving one left. The hellcannon must of drifted off target this round.

My turn 2. I still have a Reaver unit that I can use and I want to get a mage. I set them up with the ability to get past his hobgoblin and zombie unit as long as he doesn't get a long charge off. I back off my Spearmen so they are completely out of range of his flame cannons now. The chariot fails a charge on a block of hobgoblins. Not sure if I should of declared it at all but they have low leadership and I might have gotten the unit. Magic phase and I throw the big banishment at his hellcannon. I get the double 6's. Roll to wound and end up with just 2 dead crew and 1 on the monster. The mage kills another 10ish spearmen and then the demons grab him and rip him apart. This leaves my spear block down to about 4 guys, the bsb, 2 lvl 1s and the lvl 2. They do stay on the board at least. My shooting kills off the 2 remaining khans and bounces off the high toughness and armor of the hellcannon.

CD's turn 3. One of his hobgoblin units failed animosity in the first 2 turns. Turn 3 they fail again. In the Chaos Dwarf book they take a panic test. He past the first 2 but not the third and they run off the board. His zombies declare the charge on my reavers needing a 9. He gets the 9 and I moan about the upcoming fear check I have to take. 2 zombies drop from stand and shoot. His flying carpet moves up to the flank of my depleted spearmen bunker. Infernal guard march forward into some woods in the middle of the board. Tempting me to advance with my swordmasters next turn. Magic phase I dispel Ashcloud with all my dice. Then I use scroll of shielding on the magic missile that targets the bunker. He gets 8 hits which I have to spread out evenly. 2 on the bsb and 1 hit on everyone else. The bsb has a 2+ward against the flaming hits and saves his. Then my shielding scroll does work and I take zero wounds from the rest of the spell. Like everyone I tend to moan about the bad dice rolls and I need to remember these great rolls. He goes on to shooting and kills off the lone archer and my chariot. In combat I fail the fear check as predicted and lose the combat. The 3 survivors run off the board and the zombies reform.

My turn 3. My 3 mages scatter surrounding his flying carpet guy. The bsb sticks with the spears. I go to magic. I use my ironcurse mage to cast a boosted Shem's Burning gaze at the flying carpet guy. He rolls double 6's on 4 dice. The Gaze does a wound leaving flying carpet on 1 wound left. My mage cascades like my lvl 4 liked to do. The template is just out of reach of my other mages and his flying carpet guy. Then I think he got killed and I passed my panic checks. He might have survived, he is only 90 points so no big deal either way. In the shooting phase it took my 2 remaining boltthrowers but I got the wound I needed to kill his flying carpet general.

That was the last turn as time was running out. This might have been 4 turns and I am remembering it a bit different but all the big things are here I think. We got started a bit late and he was running the event. In the end it was 11-9 victory to the Chaos Dwarfs. He won by 130ish points. Could I have won on a full 6? I don't know. Just some minor changes in dice rolls would have given me the win. No matter what it was going to be close just because of our army builds. No way either one of us would table the other. Things that I could control to give me the win. Switching deployment of the big archers and boltthrower so I have a bsb reroll. Also it was a mistake to deploy the spearmen deep. I should have lined them up thin along the edge. Fewer dead to miscasts and none to the couple flame cannon hits. I didn't lose their points but it was still a misplay. I will try to get my other games up soonish. This takes longer than I thought. Hopefully people find it interesting and gets them playing some games.

Michael
Blue Collar
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Postby Blue Collar » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:43 am

Game 2 versus Bretonians

1 Brett Lord with heroic killing blow mounted on barded warhorse
1 lvl 4 lady Lore of Beasts and a dispel scroll
1 Paladin BSB on barded warhorse, Dawnstone and maybe some other stuff.
6 Paladins on barded warhorse, lance, Morningstar, shield, maybe 7 of these guys but 6 for sure

5 mounted yeoman with bows and spears
5 x 6 Knights of the Realm with full command

3 Pegusas Knights with champion and musician

2 Trebuchets, laser guided

This is a rematch from the swede comp tourney they had awhile back. His list is the same while mine has changed. I really like his list and he won the swede comp tourney with it. It probably struggles with out the other armies being toned down. However it is a rock to my scissors. He tabled me last time so this time I am hoping to get some points out of him. We were running the battle for the pass scenario which was going to make this even harder on me.

He deployed everything up on the 24" line while I kept most of my stuff back to give me time to shoot and cast. His characters are loaded into 3 of his Realm units while the other 2 are used more like chaff or flanking units. My big archer block was deployed 5 wide 4 deep to take a charge. He prayed for the Lady's Blessing so I got first turn.

My cav units moved around to set up shooting, flee reactions and counter charges. Magic was shutdown by his scroll. My shooting wiped out the Yeoman, put a wound on a peg. knight and killed a Realm or 2 from a unit with 3 paladins in it. I tried to concentrate my fire as much as possible.

His turn he pushed all his units forward full march distance. In magic I scrolled Curse of Anrahier on my Silverhelms and he got a irresistible Wyssan's off on his General's unit. Killing 3 realms and wounding the lady. I deployed my dispel scroll mage outside of the spear unit. Just behind a bolt thrower and to the left of the spears. He places both of his trebuchet shots on the spear unit the first drifts long and misses. The second misses and drifts left. Missing my bolt thrower and landing square on the head of my mage. At least he had used his scroll I guess. Funny and annoying all in one.

My turn I decide I need to charge him instead of giving him the targets of his choosing and strength bonuses from the lances. I declare one Reaver unit and the big block of archers into the peg knights. This surprised him but he decided to hold. Then I declared another unit of Reavers and the Silverhelms into the unharmed 3 pally realm unit. After rolling for the charges only the Reavers make into their targets. The archers only needed a 4 and I rolled a 3. The silverhelms needed a 9 I think so failing that wasn't unexpected. My magic phase I get off Net of Amnytok on the General and Ladies unit and maybe get some banishment wounds through on them. Shooting sneaks more wounds through on realm knights and even on a paladin. The units are now too small and hits have to be randomized. In combat the pegs take no wounds and run down the reavers. The other reavers manage a wound on a paladin but lose combat and break. He chases but doesn't catch them.

The 2 Realm units with no characters charge my archer block. I don't stand and shoot either one wanting to shoot at his depleted general unit. They are netted though and he doesn't declare the charge with them. The victorious paladin unit declares against the fleeing reavers to clear them out of the way then redirects into the silverhelms. I decide to flee with them because my Swordmasters are set up for the countercharge. His depleted pally unit declares against the chariot that flees then redirect into the small archers who stand and shoot. Might have wounded a pally or a knight. Peg knights fly behind my lines set up to charge multiple targets. In magic he fails the strength test from my Net spell and the Lady takes a wound leaving her with one left. The rest of the units armor or ward saves the wounds. He decides to go to shooting. The first trebuchet gets a direct hit and kills 20 Spearmen the second is indirect fire but still only scatters a small distance and kills 6 more. I think I forgot about my Ironcurse Icon or maybe it didn't help me. In combat the small archers are defeated and run down. The big archers sneak 1 wounds through the knights armor. 6 or 7 die to the knights and horses but hold with steadfast.

I charge with my Swordmasters and he holds. My wizards move out of the spears and set up to cast at different targets. The spears move up to protect the swordmasters flank. My silverhelms, chariot and reavers rally. The third unit of reavers move up to charge a trebuchet. The reavers move to redirect the depleted pally unit and give my bolt throwers an extra round of shooting. My magic and shooting take the depleted pally unit down to 1 paladin and unit command. In combat the bladmaster wounds a paladin then dies. The other sword masters kill a wounded paladin. Leaving 2 left. Plus a few realm knights. They strike back killing several swordmasters. The combat is a push. The big archers kill a unit champion then the knights roll poorly to hit and at strength 3 do only a couple wounds. Even the horses fail. I win the combat by one or 2. One unit is outside of the Lords range and passes its break test. The other unit also passes. I have had infantry blocks hold and win against cav before so I have hope.

I have to finish this off with less detail. I kill his lvl 4 with magic/shooting. The swordmasters kill the unit they are fighting but take way to long. The Lord's unit ends up in my spears and wipes them out. The last pally unit kills the reavers, a bolt thrower and the silverhelms with a overrun while the pegs had rear charged them. The big archers didn't get anymore wounds through and failed a steadfast check. They got run down. One paladin did charge out of a unit at a bolt thrower. It took him 3 rounds of fighting but he did get the machine eventually. My reavers got a treb and were ready to take out another. We ran out of time in this game as well. 2 hour rounds are tough but needed for the store to close. It ended in a 15-5 win to the Brettonians. So I did much better than last time and I felt like I made the right decisions.

Michael
Blue Collar
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Postby Blue Collar » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:38 pm

Game 3 versus Ogre Kingdoms

Lvl 4 Slaughtermaster, Lore of the Maw, Dispel Scroll, maybe some other stuff
Bruiser BsB Runemaw Banner

22ish Ogres with full command,

4 Leadbelchers
4 Leadbelchers
6 Maneaters with full Command, Sniper, Scout and ogre pistols.

1 Ironblaster
1 Thundertusk with harpoon launcher.

Going to make this shorter than the others. My plan was to avoid the giant ogre block w/ characters and try to get everything else. It took me 6 turns of shooting, magic, combat and a failed dangerous terrain test but I managed to kill it all but the block. He got my swordmasters, killed by the maneaters after I charged them. My lvl one with scroll was sniped by the maneaters on turn one. The Thundertusk killed a boltthrower. One unit of reavers got run down by the big block after I rolled a short distance on a double flee. I managed to keep the rest alive. End result was about 1200 points for me and 569 for him. So a 14-6 victory.

I think for my army I am going to give up and put in the Banner of the World Dragon. I have been stubbornly trying to not use it since the book was released. I think I need to put it in to protect myself from my own miscasts.

10 total people played with 10 different armies. Chaos Dwarfs, Brettonians, Ogre Kingdoms, Lizardmen, Orcs and Goblins, Vampire Counts, High Elves, Dark Elves, Wood Elves and a Dogs of War army. Allaboutgames took first place with the Dark Elves. I had a lot of fun and recommend playing in Tucson if you get the chance.

Michael
SkavenInAZ
Hordemaster
Hordemaster

Postby SkavenInAZ » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:51 am

Thanks for the reports!!

I'm looking forward to getting down there again sometime soon.