New Fantasy Army: DE or WE??

General discussion about Warhammer Fantasy Battles
AllAboutGames
Warchief
Warchief

New Fantasy Army: DE or WE??

Postby AllAboutGames » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:18 pm

So I got the new army bug and want to start working on something new. The two I have my eye on are Wood Elves or Dark Elves... I have 16 DE xbows and 15 Witch elves and a bolt thrower. I am looking to make a more shooting intensive list with either army. A bunch of xbows with the cauldron could be cool. But Woodies look like lots of fun with the avoidance and quick hitting units. Any thoughts??
Lightningman
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Re: New Fantasy Army: DE or WE??

Postby Lightningman » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:29 pm

DE seems like the obvious choice if you already have some though I think WE are still pretty under represented in local meta so if it were me that would be a selling point. You also might be able to pick some up cheap since the book has been out long enough for bandwagon players to start dropping them.

Both have some amazing models in the line.

The DE have more tools in their toolbox in case you decide you want them to be a different kind of army later. WE still seem more limited.
AllAboutGames
Warchief
Warchief

Postby AllAboutGames » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:45 pm

Yeah that is one of the huge things is it would be a fairly unique army in our area. I do agree that DE have more tools and are the better balanced army, where WE are a definitely more of a fine tuned list that is better at one or two things. It is nice having the models, but I don't really see myself using witches that much because I don't really want to take them in a horde and that seems to be the only way to run them effectively.
SkavenInAZ
Hordemaster
Hordemaster

Postby SkavenInAZ » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:56 pm

Dark Elves is the best army in the game currently.

Wood Elves can be competitve, but the large majority of the army lists that are competitive are avoidance.. Not much fun to play against.

I'd suggest Dark Elves for these (and more reasons)
AllAboutGames
Warchief
Warchief

Postby AllAboutGames » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:24 pm

Yeah, leaning towards DE... Mainly because like you said a WE avoidance list would be fun to play but I feel like opponents dont really enjoy the game, and Im not trying to drive anyone away from the hobby.
zimmonda
Grunt
Grunt

Postby zimmonda » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:55 am

A normal horded wood elf shooting list is still viable with heavy magic and treekin, eternal guard, or treemen all being good hammers while wildwood rangers and wild riders can function as traditional hammers.

Wood Elf avoidance lists are godly but that doesnt mean you cant have success with a more "standard" list. For example Wildwood rangers in an abyssal wood, (everything will cause fear which will proc their extra attack) will make most armies think twice. And eternal guard in a forest are simply going nowhere, make it a poison forest and your opponent must take dangerous terrain and your s3 attacks get to be poisoned which usually benefits you more. Combine that with spears and martial prowess and you have 4 ranks 5 if horded worth of asf poison.
AllAboutGames
Warchief
Warchief

Postby AllAboutGames » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:02 pm

Yeah I definitely think WE shooting might have a leg up on the DE, they just don't have all of the tools that the DE have to deal with everything. The only thing that I am struggling with is how to deal with the WoC chariot spam, 2 Chimera, skullcrusher, and a DP list with the DE.
SkavenInAZ
Hordemaster
Hordemaster

Postby SkavenInAZ » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:54 am

zimmonda wrote:A normal horded wood elf shooting list is still viable with heavy magic and treekin, eternal guard, or treemen all being good hammers while wildwood rangers and wild riders can function as traditional hammers.

Viable isn't the same as competitive. Can you play and have fun with your friends with it?? Yeah, to some degree. But eventually, S3/T3 Elves with no save get figured out. And once that happens, you don't have a viable army. Other armies have toughness, AS, or other rules to protect them. Woodies have none of these and can't last long in a stand up fight, which is what your more traditional list will contain.

zimmonda wrote:Wood Elf avoidance lists are godly but that doesnt mean you cant have success with a more "standard" list. For example Wildwood rangers in an abyssal wood, (everything will cause fear which will proc their extra attack) will make most armies think twice. And eternal guard in a forest are simply going nowhere, make it a poison forest and your opponent must take dangerous terrain and your s3 attacks get to be poisoned which usually benefits you more. Combine that with spears and martial prowess and you have 4 ranks 5 if horded worth of asf poison.

If the Wood Elves have to sit in the forest to get the extra benefits, who's going in after them? Noone. Kill everything else, ignore that unit. Or, better yet, magic that unit to death while it sits in the forest. Dwellers, Fiery Convo, Final Trans, etc. True, not every army has these -- but if you take Woodies in a sub-optimal list like this, how long til you start seeing that type of magic?

AllAboutGames wrote:Yeah I definitely think WE shooting might have a leg up on the DE, they just don't have all of the tools that the DE have to deal with everything. The only thing that I am struggling with is how to deal with the WoC chariot spam, 2 Chimera, skullcrusher, and a DP list with the DE.

Doombolt, Doombolt, Doombolt. Nuke the Chimera, then the Chariots, send Executioners in to deal with the Skullcrushers and 4 Bolt Throwers for the DP. Dark Elves pretty much have a way to deal with everything, which is one of the reasons why it's the best book.
zimmonda
Grunt
Grunt

Postby zimmonda » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:42 am

Idk, if youre arguement against non avoidance welves is "oh ill just dwellers them" then that kind of applies to every army. But more to the point tc said he was interested in a shooting intensive list, you dont get much more shooting intensive than woodelves.
SkavenInAZ
Hordemaster
Hordemaster

Postby SkavenInAZ » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:04 am

Not really... only if you have a massive brick that's sitting in a forest and waiting for you to go to it, is that going to be the answer all the time. Dark Elves will have the same large bricks -- but they'll be running forward, limiting how long the opponent can target them with it. Dice one turn, scroll the next, and you're likely engaged in H2H and safe. For the Wood Elf combat bricks to be effective, they almost have to be in a Forest, which allows the opponent to shoot and magic them heavily before they choose when to engage.