Getting into Fantasy, picked up Ogre Codex, questions.

General discussion about Warhammer Fantasy Battles
TookeyTookey
Grunt
Grunt

Getting into Fantasy, picked up Ogre Codex, questions.

Postby TookeyTookey » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:16 am

So I built a "army" just to see points / cost, it came out to almost 950$ for 4k.

So I wanna build say a 1k to 1.5k army just to learn the rules, army but still have a chance to beat other armies at that level.

Any good list?

Any good tips from ogre players?
gobbla
Warchief
Warchief

Re: Getting into Fantasy, picked up Ogre Codex, questions.

Postby gobbla » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:41 am

I would recommend you start with one or two battalion boxes. Then a unit of mournfang and an Ironblaster are great choices as they are competitive and you ll learn the specifics of cavalry units and cannons.
Good luck building your army

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
Lightningman
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Re: Getting into Fantasy, picked up Ogre Codex, questions.

Postby Lightningman » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:17 pm

/Concur with Gobbla

The list of models he suggested will probably get you close to 2k points depending on how you build things. I would spend some time playing at 2k or 2500 (tournament standard) before even thinking about how to make it a 3-4k list. That way you get a feel for what things do what and how well.

When it comes to characters a lot of people kit bash them using the basic models especially early on. Be aware that ogres, leadbelchers, and ironguts all use the same torso. They change the arms, heads and gut plates depending on the model. It makes it easy to mix and match bits within reason.

It is a fun army to play and can be competitive once you get the hang of it, although I think as big a part of your success in Fantasy is knowing what your opponent's army can do.