The biggest misconceptions

General discussion about Warhammer Fantasy Battles
Ninja Goblin
Warboss
Warboss

The biggest misconceptions

Postby Ninja Goblin » Tue May 20, 2014 10:54 am

What would you say are the biggest misconceptions of the game currently, what mechanics do people "do" wrong the most? I am just curious to see what issues are in game with the rules switch.
Yes, I'm a ninja. No, I won't show you my moves.
I do not sleep, I wait.... It's a ninja thing, you wouldn't understand.
Lightningman
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Re: The biggest misconceptions

Postby Lightningman » Tue May 20, 2014 6:09 pm

That seems like two different questions.

As for misconceptions, I still frequently encounter people who are holding on to the rumors and hoopla they read online about this edition before it came out. I still here how magic is this game winning turn one steamroller and how it broke the game utterly. My favorite is when I here that from people who still play 40k which of course can be won on turn one or two. I also here "it's all about big monsters now" and "cavalry no longer has any use" usually from the same uninformed folks.

As for things people do wrong, I find people overmove fast cavalry and fail to account for the distance the models have to use up for their reforms. They also use the free reform to reform incorrectly and effectively giving themselves yet more free movement. I am sure there are others but that is the one unit that people seem genuinely surprised by when I pull out the book.
Black Templar
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Black Templar » Tue May 20, 2014 11:20 pm

Too much theoryhammer and not enough playing games :)

You should dust of your models, Adam and come play again. Then you'll see for yourself.
GOD
Warboss
Warboss

Postby GOD » Tue May 27, 2014 10:21 am

The meta has drastically changed from when the edition first came out. Granted all this is coming from 1 game but some recent research has confirmed these thoughts for me. When the edition first came out it was all about the big spells and steadfast bricks. Now it is more about skewed list and ultra elite armies.
GT Record
Tides of War 2009 "Best Composition"
Best in the West 2010 "Best Overall"
SoCal Slaughter 2009 "2nd Best General"
Tides of War 2010 "Best General"

G=Greater
O=omnipotent
D=Deity
GOD
Warboss
Warboss

Postby GOD » Tue May 27, 2014 10:24 am

I should say 1 tournament not game
GT Record
Tides of War 2009 "Best Composition"
Best in the West 2010 "Best Overall"
SoCal Slaughter 2009 "2nd Best General"
Tides of War 2010 "Best General"

G=Greater
O=omnipotent
D=Deity
SkavenInAZ
Hordemaster
Hordemaster

Postby SkavenInAZ » Tue May 27, 2014 10:40 pm

Nohea's not off base, but only from a very elite level -- GT style. Locally, you only have a couple people that play that type of lists -- they're usually expensive and friend-losers. There are plenty of competitive armies that are out that don't depend on skew -- but you have to build it correctly, it has to be a toolbox army (Empire, Skaven), and you have to know what you're doing.

Biggest misconception that I see is that people think that the game isn't balanced. Sure, there are top and bottom armies, but there's nothing like 7th edition where Demons showed up and won. Bretonnia, a 10 year old book, has won 2 major GT's in the past 2 years. A non-skew VC list won Lonewolf this year. Is it different from 7th? Absolutely. But GW has done a much better job of going through and making things relatively balanced. It's also still tactical. Not to the level of the past, but differently. Plenty of movement games to play and gimmicks to be had -- if you look for them. This is why I believe a lot of people have come back to the game.