Wood elves next

General discussion about Warhammer Fantasy Battles
Lightningman
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Re: Wood elves next

Postby Lightningman » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:01 pm

Twitch, nice to see you are alive and well. Hope things are going well for you.

The rumor (and again this is just that until next week) is that all of their units will be stubborn. The biggest problem (aside from stupid points costs) that they had in last book being viable in 8th revolved around their inability to last in cc. They got 2 rounds of shooting then they just got bulldozed in cc by anything with ranks. If they are all stubborn and or have a viable rank and file core unit option then an msu/mmu setup may be viable.

They also didn't rally have the gear to deal with the proliferation of high toughness monsters. I suspect the treeman options will be a more cost effective counter that they were before.

Having both dark and light magic if it is true won't hurt them any either.
Twitch
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Twitch » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:16 pm

Hey guys it's good to see you too! I've been doing fine, I actually have too much free time on my hands now lol. I think we can expect the same style of army that GW has been pumping out for the other races i.e. 2-3 big monsters, some type of 40mm or 50mm cav, normal cav, and infantry. While stubborn would be cool, I don't think it will do much unless you are running a large amount of trees as most woodies are just too weak to stick around in combat. Hopefully they will remove most of the skirmishers from the army as they seem to be more of an annoyance now than anything else. I wouldn't be surprised to see stag cavalry which would be cool and work well with the stubborn.

At the end of the day though it doesn't really matter. Once you repeatedly table an all infantry chaos army, or a chaos army with a silly theme like 4 horsemen, the army just feels too dirty to play.

And don't even get me started on high elves.
Black Templar
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Black Templar » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:40 am

So....

The interwebz is exsplodo with information on the woodies.

-3 AP arrows... or poison, or +1 to wound, or no modifiers to hit (ever.)

Free citadel wood, +D3 citadel woods if you take a magic item ---- Their special rules all apply/get better in woods.

Too much to mention here.

Go find it - it wants you to...

Woodies are going to change the meta. That is what I foresee.

edit: I am upset that I have to buy $130 of terrain for this army though.
Twitch
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Twitch » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:02 pm

In the search for rumors today I came across the new cavalry and infantry units. All I can say is GW plz my wallet.
Black Templar
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Black Templar » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:20 am

Oh yeah, Twitch. Monday night someone hacked the GW site and located all of the pictures for this week's releases.

The models are beautiful.

Eternal Guard/Wild Wood Ranger kit

Wild Riders (on stag Calvary)/ Thornwood Maidens (i think) kit, also on the same stags

...people used the known .jpg url code and started testing other options that might work for the new releases. Once they stumbled upon it the internet went on fire and more people jumped in. In total they located unit images, sprue pics, 360' photos and such. Someone will likely lose their job at GW over it too.
Ninja Goblin
Warboss
Warboss

Postby Ninja Goblin » Wed May 07, 2014 3:14 pm

I really like what I have read and think the wood elves may finally play they way I always hoped.
Yes, I'm a ninja. No, I won't show you my moves.
I do not sleep, I wait.... It's a ninja thing, you wouldn't understand.
Twitch
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Twitch » Fri May 09, 2014 12:11 am

Ninja Goblin wrote:I really like what I have read and think the wood elves may finally play they way I always hoped.

Yeah the new army is amazing. It seem really balanced and has tons of great options. I really get the wood elf feel from the army for the first time, especially compared to 7th edition. The biggest props I have to give to GW is the inclusion of previously rare special rules. The more or less asrai wide armor piercing special rule is perfect for both lore and gameplay reaspms0. Furthermore, it was previously special rule that didn't seem to see much play, and I think it is a great idea for GW to include this in the WE army.
Lightningman
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Lightningman » Sun May 11, 2014 9:27 am

Ran my ogres against them last friday and found them to be very balanced. Erik was using a list based on what models he had more than anything and held his own to the very end. There were points where it looked like he might have it won even. They seem to me to play a lot like they always have but better. Better shooting, better in CC but still too expensive for massed infantry units, the treeman is a serious beast.