Gw fact or fiction

General discussion about Warhammer Fantasy Battles
Ninja Goblin
Warboss
Warboss

Gw fact or fiction

Postby Ninja Goblin » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:54 pm

So GW drops 25% in stocks in one day, ouch that hurts next topic...

What is true about the after rumors from GW not from some random blog.
Is forgeworld now sold a direct from Games workshop?
Is finecast actually gone?
Are they no loner supporting Tomb Kings even with this brand new book? same with Brets and Wood Elves?

Please only post FACTS or at least state before hand your sources.

Any other rumors you want cleared up post them here and maybe some one can answer!
Yes, I'm a ninja. No, I won't show you my moves.
I do not sleep, I wait.... It's a ninja thing, you wouldn't understand.
Black Templar
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Re: Gw fact or fiction

Postby Black Templar » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:27 pm

The stocks did take a hit after their most recent financials revealed that overall sales and profit on those sales went down (ie. their cost went up and they sold less.)

As for the rumors of squat-deathing nearly 25% of their range? That has largely been dismissed on all of the prominent WHFB sites by credible posters/sources. Take a minute and look up the posts if you want more details.

You have to look at where this "anonymous" info landed/surfaced. Faeit212 right? His blog is largely rubbish as he posts every snippet anyone says about anything, and he loves the doom and gloom variety.

Finecast is indeed going the way of the dohdoh (grin). They have been removing those models systematically for almost a year now. Metals too. GW is moving to 100% plastic with Forgeworld filling in on the resin end of things.
Lightningman
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Lightningman » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:15 pm

I see no reason at all to think there is going to be a lack of support for TK. They are in great shape and any rumors of an impending 9th edition seem to be largely unfounded. As for brets and woodlings... the tide of rumor mongering seems to wash back and forth almost weekly between either one of them being for sure next after dwarfs or them being written out.

Rumors considered solid as little as one week before the new Nid book were wrong and some of them horribly wrong so until you see something official I'd say you are giving yourself ulcers for nothing.

My hope is that the hit results in them realizing that attempting to squeeze every penny out of a dwindling population sin't a viable business plan. Lower profit margin per item in a much larger crowd will keep the hobby strong and that is the only thing that will keep the company alive long term.
wilkinson73
Warboss
Warboss

Postby wilkinson73 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:44 pm

A lower profit margin will keep the company alive? Im dubious about that. I thought companies need to maximize profits for long term sustainability?
Lightningman
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Lightningman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:32 pm

Not lower profit margin, lower per item.

If you have 10 people who spend 10 dollars a month on your product you make $100.

If you have 20 people who spend 5 dollars a month you make $100.

If you have 50 people who spend 2 dollars a month you make $100.

The difference is that in example 1 you have a smaller community and losing a single customer (who for example is fed up with your prices gw... cough) then you lose 10% of your incoming revenue. You also are more prone to "domino quitters" as you have smaller gaming groups where one person no longer playing may be enough to kill the game off for the group.

If you decrease the profit margin per item it triggers (theoretically) a larger number of customers and then if you lose one or two along the way it doesn't hurt so much and at the same time your customers are part of a bigger community so they have more opportunity to play, which again theoretically should keep interest and thus sales high.
Ninja Goblin
Warboss
Warboss

Postby Ninja Goblin » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:04 pm

So what are the big rumors right now? Confirmed anyway?
Black Templar
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Black Templar » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:06 pm

There are no confirmed rumors really...

Since GW moved to the weekly white dwarf releases the rumors have dried up.

Timeline talk:

Wood Elves
Orks 40k
Chaos Marines 40k
9th edition WHFB
Lightningman
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Lightningman » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:27 pm

9th fantasy is not really anything with any credibility. It is one thing for GW to simply not release information about what is coming but there have been a number of people who have had first hand conversations at games days and the like with people more int he know than your average red shirt who have vehemently denied any such event would be happening this year.

Historically new editions are predated by army books that are designed with those new editions in mind. The Dwarf book shows no signs of being engineered with something new in mind and after waiting so painfully long for their new books brets and wood elves would not likely bite at the new stuff if they thought there was a new rule set coming.

Not saying it isn't happening just that there have been no credible indications for and many against.

Prevailing rumors for fantasy are wood elves in may and brets in august/september.
Ninja Goblin
Warboss
Warboss

Postby Ninja Goblin » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:39 am

Crap...I would possibly buy both of those armies...