What do Fantasy Players Want?

General discussion about Warhammer Fantasy Battles
The Prince of Excess
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

What do Fantasy Players Want?

Postby The Prince of Excess » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:36 am

I'm just posting this out of my own curiosity but I really would like to know, what do the Fantasy players in the Valley want in terms of events?

It's just a bit discouraging because I have tried to run quite a few things to get people together and get some steady games going but I can't really generate any interest outside of the the usual people I know who participate.

Is there anything that can be done to get people from different shops together? I'm open to suggestion.

Thanks. :]
Abaddon
Warboss
Warboss

Re: What do Fantasy Players Want?

Postby Abaddon » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:11 pm

"Non-Storm of Magic" events in my opinion are much more appealing. It seems as soon as we got used to the 8th ed rules they threw a wrench in the program to sell more books and big beasties. Which kinda ruined it for me, cuz I just enjoy the core game as-is.
The Prince of Excess
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby The Prince of Excess » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:13 am

Wow thanks for replying at least. Maybe these boards are deader than I thought. That would explain a lot.
Black Templar
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Black Templar » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:23 am

Heh, back in the day people would carpool to different events around the valley... Alas, it seems people are mostly sticking to their "home stores" in recent months.

A couple things that might help with that:

-More events.
-Events that don't overlap between stores.
-Communication about the events on the board here, and possibly a txt list.
-Posting Batreps about the tournaments to generate further interest.
-"Short events". People can play for a chunk of the day, but not usually all of the day. Long events are good as a couple times a year thing, but a three round event shouldn't take eight hours.

Just some thoughts.

Lastly, there are a TON of lurkers on these boards. People don't always post but the info does get read :)
JBFlanz
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby JBFlanz » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:15 am

The Prince of Excess wrote:Wow thanks for replying at least. Maybe these boards are deader than I thought. That would explain a lot.

These kind of comments are why you do not seem to be getting good answers.
WM/H: Khador, Trollbloods, Minions, and Mercs
Fantasy: Orcs & Goblins
40k: Orks
Malifaux:Outcasts minus the gremlins

Abaddon
Warboss
Warboss

Postby Abaddon » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:33 pm

I honestly don't understand why your comment was warranted flanz, I didn't take The Princes comment as negative at all, perhaps the perception is off, not the comment.
JBFlanz
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby JBFlanz » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:21 pm

Abaddon wrote:I honestly don't understand why your comment was warranted flanz, I didn't take The Princes comment as negative at all, perhaps the perception is off, not the comment.

Not trying to start anything, but it sounded very sarcastic and his original post seemed like it wanted to better the scene. The sarcasm came when no one was posting, and I was letting him know that that kind of manner will not aid him in his quest.

As for Fantasy, I love it and plan on playing it much more in 2012. Let me know where and if I am free I will make it happen. I am all for community and friendship, even if it means driving to go play where the action is.
WM/H: Khador, Trollbloods, Minions, and Mercs
Fantasy: Orcs & Goblins
40k: Orks
Malifaux:Outcasts minus the gremlins

Ninja Goblin
Warboss
Warboss

Postby Ninja Goblin » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:44 pm

This is a great question. I will answer why Ihave not played since Tides of War. The game is no longer competitive in a manner that appeals to my tastes. As I was a competitive player who made a huge investment in it when the change came this left a bad taste in my mouth for the game overall. So even if one argues it is a well written "beer and pretzels" type of game, people of my mentality feel sold out. The second issue was the meta had become very toxic, people were no longer being civil to one another and not playing the game in a manner that left it any fun. The unbalance of the rules due to the army books began to show through to heavy and only further degraded the community.

People of my ilk maintained a great store presence and offered up a group of gamers always looking for a game, so it was easy to maintain a strong community overall. So enter another game with far less balance issues, no old grudges and is competitive and bam fantasy dies as those disfranchised gamers moved towards playing it.

I am stoked for 9th edition as I believe failure to come through with something awesome combined with the insane raises in costs to play will all but bankrupt GW. The beast now has to compete to survive.
Yes, I'm a ninja. No, I won't show you my moves.
I do not sleep, I wait.... It's a ninja thing, you wouldn't understand.
SkavenInAZ
Hordemaster
Hordemaster

Postby SkavenInAZ » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:28 pm

I think what Fantasy players want is just more people to play. Going to my LGS gets me games against one of the same 4-5 people who I know will be there. Back in the glory days, I couldn't play everyone who was there to play WFB if I tried. Part of this is the death of new people playing due to rules and costs. Some of it is the old gamer who is burned out and wasn't replaced. I'm not sure that this issue is something that can be addressed by anyone short of GW, however.

Bottom line -- I'll still go anywhere to play in a tournament -- but there aren't any announced hardly, and the ones that are aren't well attended.
The Prince of Excess
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby The Prince of Excess » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:56 pm

I usually come off as sarcastic, my apologies. Just something to do with the way I talk, intended or not.

So everyone's answers are pretty all over, that's to be expected. It seems like people are really interested in Tournies though, is there no interest in having a reliable way to get games in? I really like Tournaments too but it's one day of games, usually 3-5, in a month.

I'm of the mindset that it's better to have some way to get a reliable game, maybe one or two a week, and use Tournaments as sort of a way to bring the rivalries and competition to a head with a bit more "on the line".

Would anyone be interested in something of that vein? I really love Fantasy even with the problems and I've tried a few solutions but no one seems quite interested. Either it's railing against house rules or railing against the core rules without a happy medium.

I'm also a bit over the whole turtling at my one chosen store thing, I like GI and Empire both just fine and would play at either, (Game Depot is a bit much of a drive for me). But I have experienced how hard it can be to get a game at a store you don't "frequent".

It'd be really nice to have some sort of list or something that you can say "Okay I wanna play a game, I have this contact information and I can set something up."

So would anyone be interested or is that just a bad idea to boost Fantasy? I'm pretty committed to this so give me whatever input you want, I'm all ears. There aren't enough players for each store to be an island.