Black Orcs and butter

General discussion about Warhammer Fantasy Battles
shootamidget
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Black Orcs and butter

Postby shootamidget » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:19 am

so is it just me or are Black Orcs really overpowered, i mean with WS 4 and S 7 on the charge for the basic 12 point orc. thats just cruel and unusual punishment.

i have literally cause a unit of 20 longbeards with their thane general lose combat by five and a unit of 20 tomd guard with their heriphant general to lose by ELEVEN!

or am have i just gotten very lucky?
Myfirst name is teodosio, i just go by colten
gobbla
Warchief
Warchief

Re: Black Orcs and butter

Postby gobbla » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:18 pm

What's the size of you unit of black orcs? 12pts per model is expensive. With low initiative, most unit will strike before you and unless you use shields which will lower your strength during the first round of combat to 5, you only have a 5+ armor.
shootamidget
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Postby shootamidget » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:02 pm

well right now i only run 19 wil full command and a Black Orc Big Boss (BOBB)
JBFlanz
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby JBFlanz » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:47 pm

The problem is they cannot take a hit. 12 points is a lot considering you can get four str 4 attacks from 2 orcs for 2 points more. They just do not have the staying power required to handle most elite things. Try charging those 19 black orcs into some high/dark elf spearman. Their basic troops will slowly devour them over a turn much less phoenix guard or swordmasters. The black orcs certainly have great damage, but they find themselves dying too easily due to low arm and low initiative.
WM/H: Khador, Trollbloods, Minions, and Mercs
Fantasy: Orcs & Goblins
40k: Orks
Malifaux:Outcasts minus the gremlins

shootamidget
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Postby shootamidget » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:55 pm

well i don't use them to for there staying power i use them to charge with there great weapons and kill as much as i can, with a war banner the almost never lose combat resolution so far thats been a pretty good way to use them.
JBFlanz
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby JBFlanz » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:58 pm

shootamidget wrote:well i don't use them to for there staying power i use them to charge with there great weapons and kill as much as i can, with a war banner the almost never lose combat resolution so far thats been a pretty good way to use them.

Do not get me wrong, they wreck face. They can take down some big baddies with ease. I am glad you liek them, I love how they look and field them for that reason alone. They also make plenty of dents. ;)
WM/H: Khador, Trollbloods, Minions, and Mercs
Fantasy: Orcs & Goblins
40k: Orks
Malifaux:Outcasts minus the gremlins

SkavenInAZ
Hordemaster
Hordemaster

Postby SkavenInAZ » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:59 pm

The other problem with them is that they cant' win combat against bigger units fast enough, i.e. my 50 man blocks of slaves. You'll get tarpitted down and slapped in the flank with a HPA faster than you can ask Mork or Gork for help. The number of attacks they put out just isn't enough to go through steadfast, which is why most Ork boys opt for Savage Orks instead.
Sajek
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Postby Sajek » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:22 am

Yes they are very nasty, but my solution for them is a priority Helstorm and Handgunner target. Sadly though not everyone has such access to gunpowder as the empire does... I would send a tarpit unit into them and wear them away. The Green skins have even nastier units up their sleeves though. Mangler Squigs cannot be charged move 3D6 are immune to pscy, have a -1 to hit and then can do 2d6 S6 armor piercing attacks. The it goes randomly which is kinda kool. If you move into it to kill the guy you take 3D6 S6 armor piercing attacks. He is worth 65 points.
mcloven
Warchief
Warchief

Postby mcloven » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:37 am

ummm how about you try charging them into chaos warriors and tell me how that works for yay.
The Prince of Excess
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby The Prince of Excess » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:44 am

Their save is nothing to write home about and each casualty costs them dearly when they get into combat since you can't really afford a big block. Also they lose to many other "fighty/elite" units in the game, i.e. Chaos Warriors as mentioned.

They're far from over powered, I'd rather have regular Boyz for the count myself.