Empire Start 1k

General discussion about Warhammer Fantasy Battles
Nixusrising
Grunt
Grunt

Empire Start 1k

Postby Nixusrising » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:00 am

So i am going to start off my army with 1000 pts for our campaign(thats the first level) and was wondering if you guys had some suggestions of what to get for my army, i am thinking battalion, book, generals box, warrior priest( :D ) but i am just starting the army and i dont know what is good and all that so yeah thats where you guys come in...
Thanks
SkavenInAZ
Hordemaster
Hordemaster

Re: Empire Start 1k

Postby SkavenInAZ » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:40 am

Not a bad start... just FYI, the knights will not be useful after you get up to about 2000 points -- or you'll need many more of them. But, even with that, the rest of the batallion is a better deal than just buying it outright, so.. go for it. The other problem you'll run into is this. Empire troops are dirt cheap. You need lots of them. Even adding the two things in you mentioned, you'll struggle to get to 1000 points. Take the below, for example:

1000.0 Pts - Empire Roster

General of the Empire (1#, 115.0 pts)
1 Armor of Meteoric Iron
1 Seed of Rebirth
Warrior Priest of Sigmar (1#, 90.0 pts)
Battle Wizard (1#, 65.0 pts)
State Troops (30#, 200.0 pts)
19 Halberdiers @ 200.0 pts (Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Halberd; Light Armour)
1 Sergeant (Hand Weapon; Halberd; Light Armour)
10 [Det] Handgunners (Hand Weapon; Handgun)
Knightly Orders (8#, 224.0 pts)
Greatswords (20#, 230.0 pts)
1 Mortar @ 75.0 pts

Using everything from the Battalion Box, we still need to add a General, Warrior Priest, Wizard, 10 Halberdiers, 10 GreatSwords, 10 Handgunners, and a Mortar. I'm not saying this is a perfect list, but it should give you an idea of around where to start.
Nixusrising
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Nixusrising » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:39 am

Yeah i see what you mean about needing lots of guys cause they are cheap(and not really that great)What about this, Battalion, Book, another box of handgunners, another box of state troops, a great cannon, and i dont really know what to do for the heroes(Maybe warrior priest?)
List-
20 Swordsmen
FC
Detachment- 10 Halberds

20 Handgunners
FC

8 Knights

10 Great Swords

1 Cannon

Warrior Priest/Battle Wizard/General?
WarGear?

So yeah, pretty much the same with a few additions(Cannon, 10 more handgunners, detachment of hand gunnners)
Black Templar
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Black Templar » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:16 am

From a gameplay perspective, mortars are amazing as they use the large 5" template and you don't need to guess the range on them anymore. Cannons are awesome at what they do, but limited in all around usefulness. At 1000pts, most people won't be having large monsters to shoot at or other big warmachine things but most lists will be having at least a couple large blocks of troops, which the mortar would be key for.

As an Empire player myself, I try to keep 1-2 mortars and 1 cannon in my 2000pt lists, so having one or the other in a 1000pt list would make sense too (and you don't need two mortars at lower point levels either.)

I like swordsman for my armies because of the parry save and WS4 even though many of the people around here like Halberds for the str4 attacks. I do like Arch Lectors as my generals as well, because they are still Ld9, and they give +2 dispel dice which is huge. None of the Empire characters can fight their way out of a wet paper bag so losing an attack isn't that big of a deal. At larger point levels you can put your Arch Lector on a War Altar and he'll be neigh unkillable (and a great tarpit as such!). Lastly the Arch Lector makes one unit of flagallents become core eligable as well :)

Overall, the lists here look pretty solid. I <3 greatswords too, even though they always always tend to run for me on their stubborn leadership (including a reroll.) I stll bring them nearly every game.

Good luck with your Warhammer journey! If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. Empire is awesome, and it always will be because it is the cornerstone of the WHFB world right alongside chaos.

-Jon