Cleansing Flame Rules Clarification

General discussion about Warhammer 40k
Rommel013
Grunt
Grunt

Cleansing Flame Rules Clarification

Postby Rommel013 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:15 pm

Greetings all, just a quick rules clarification that came up during my last 40k game revolving around a squad of GK Purifiers in a Transport attempting to Cleansing Flame Nova multiple units.

As I Understand it, all Novas are always Witchfires (one of the 3 subsets of Witchfires including Novas, Focused Witchfires and Beams), which allow it to be fired from a Transport with a firing port (Rhino in this case). The entry on Cleasing Flame saysit is a 9" Nova (Point Blank AoE with a 9" radius) and auto hits all units in range, dealing 2d6 hits, etc.

Question 1: Novas are always Witchfires so the attack is legal, correct?
Question 2: Where on the Rhino do I draw the 9" Radius from? The Hull? The Back Top Hatch?
Question 3: How and How many hits are distributed to units within the radius of effect? If there an enemy unit with 5 models in the unit, a 2nd Unit with 1 model and a flying creature, do I roll 2d6 and distribute that number of hits between all 3 units, does each unit get hit with 2d6 hits (rolled individually for each unit) or does each model suffer 2d6 hits?
Question 4: I understand the unit proc'ing the power is immune for damage from it, as would the transport it is embarked on, but would other friendly units caught in the radius suffer hits as per answer number 3?

Thanks much!

-Typed on my phone, please excuse typos.
ds4502
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Re: Cleansing Flame Rules Clarification

Postby ds4502 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:11 am

Novas are not witch fires and thus can not be used from a vehicle. They can hit models in close combat but can not be used if the caster is in close combat. As with any other nova, it hits each unit the number of times specified on its profile. Also these attacks only target enemies. As long as you are a battle brother and in the same army you are safe.

Now, if your gaming group says that it is a "Sub-type" of witchfires then the only place the nova could originate is the hatch AKA firing point.

There is just zero text relating the Nova power to Witchfires in the current BRB.
Rommel013
Grunt
Grunt

Re: Cleansing Flame Rules Clarification

Postby Rommel013 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:25 pm

Hmm, the general consensus online seems to be that they are. I copy pasted this question to the Dakka Dakka boards and they came back with a definite yes (http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/po ... 58163.page)

Here is another online discussions accepting that it is a witchfire:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/po ... 17677.page

I think the confusion comes in (and where we stumbled the other day in my game) is that the BRB states there are subsets of Witchfires, then lists Beam, Focused and Novas but only re-enumerates (in the subset descriptions) that Beam and Focused are witchfires. I feel Novas are as well as when describing types of Psychic Powers, the categories are in larger font (Blessings, Witchfires, etc), then immediately following the note that there are subsets of Witchfires, Beam, Focused and Nova are all in italics - indicating they are all subsets of Witchfires. It would obviously be much more clear is they would have just used the word 'Witchfire' in the description of Nova, but you know, GW.