How much time should one allow for Jink?

General discussion about Warhammer 40k
ds4502
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

How much time should one allow for Jink?

Postby ds4502 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:07 am

I had a quick question. In a recent tournament, I accidentally pissed off an opponent during the very first part of the psychic phase. I had a Hive Tyrant that flew up in range of a Ghost Ark and rolled for Warp Blast (Lance version) against the vehicle. I rolled 4 dice with 3 successes, and asked my opponent if he would like to deny the witch. He declined. I then waited for roughly 5 seconds while rolling the 1 dice in my hand for any type of response to my shooting attack. I then rolled a hit, then rolled a armour pen attempt which was successful, and immobilized the ark, ripping off the quantum shielding (total time was in the range of about 15-20 seconds from when I started to cast the psychic attack). He took that part with a disappointed look and stated that I did not give him enough time to state that he was jinking. I, for the rest of the game, asked him if he was jinking for every single shooting attack that I did to try to make up for it. This slowed the game down significantly. It was the first game, in years, that I have had even come close to the time limit.

I have grown used to, when stating that I am shooting at something that can jink, my opponent is chomping at the bit to tell me whether he is going to jink or not. This seems true, especially in the tournament setting.

My question: How long, after declaring a shooting attack, is it OK to assume that your opponent is refusing to jink and not just attempting to slow play?

I am legitimately curious.

Thank you for your time reading this.
Jaygh
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Re: How much time should one allow for Jink?

Postby Jaygh » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:42 am

As long as you give the other player a few seconds, it is their responsibility to say whether or not they want to jink. That having been said, in the case of something that has no shooting attack, ie screamers, some demon princes, etc. I usually just assume the other person will jink. But I think allowing 4-5 seconds is perfectly fine.
Charistoph
Warchief
Warchief

Postby Charistoph » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:42 pm

To be fair, he could have said it while you were gathering up the Psyker Dice or while he was attempting to Deny. Something like, "If this Deny fails, the Ark will be Jinking." Or similar. The only real limit is that it is stated when it declared as a target. There's usually enough time while dice are being pulled to roll to make such a declaration.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Megavolt wrote:They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.
ianj253
Warchief
Warchief

Postby ianj253 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:47 pm

I usually just ask if they will be junking. Really should only add a few seconds on.