Thoughts on a weekly streaming "fight night"

General discussion about Warhammer 40k
Cleric
Warchief
Warchief

Re: Thoughts on a weekly streaming "fight night"

Postby Cleric » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:16 pm

I'm very interested in being an occasional player for some 40k battle reports. I have experience doing so, and keep the analytical aspect and banter entertaining haha.

I also like the idea of MTG, and would be willing to be in on that.
40k: Ravenwing 2000
Imperial Guard 2000
Sisters of Battle 2000
Grey Knights 1500
Rommel013
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Rommel013 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:51 pm

I have a twitch account I've been streaming for a bit. I also have a few friends that do so as well. What can I help with?
Jaygh
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Jaygh » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:32 am

Just general streaming, streaming from webcam, making overlays etc. I tried setting up open broadcast on my laptop, but it's having difficulties for some reason.
Rommel013
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Rommel013 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:06 pm

Sure, I'll assume we're using OBS (Open Broadcast Software).

So step one (after the obvious download, etc) is to set up a scene.
For our purpose, we'll probably only need one scene since we won't be streaming different games that will need to have the file name path updated constantly or set up AFK screens or the like.

-To do this we'll right click on the scenes box, click add scene and name it (40k Stream, etc).
-Next we'll need to tell OBS what sources from the computer to route to this scene IE: Webcam(s), Text Documents, PDFs for Rules referencing, Graphics, etc. This is done by right clicking on the sources box -> add -> click the source type you want to add. Let's say we wanted to add a webcam (which we surely will). We'll select Video Capture device in the drop down under sources -> add. This will let us name the source (Commentator Webcam, Player Cam 1, Player Cam 2, etc). Next a window pops up that lets us select the actual source from the computer (Device) as well as some resolution, color, video buffering and vertical/horizontal flip options. They're pretty self explanatory and, honestly, unless there are problems with the stream, leave them all default.
-We repeat this process until all the sources are routed to the scene we're building. You'll notice there will be a checkbox next to each source so you can temporarily disable them for specific streams.
-Once our scene is built, we'll need to set up OBS to broadcast to Twitch (or your stream hosting site of choice). This is under Settings -> Broadcast Settings. Mode should be Live Stream. Streaming Service should be twitch (or whatever site we're using). FMS URL is the closest hosting URL to us (Los Angeles, CA if Twitch probably). Play Path/Stream Key (if any) is where the magic happens. You'll need to get your stream key from your Twitch Dashboard and copy+paste it in here. This is how OBS plays on your specific twitch channel. The rest of that box is pretty basic - do you want to save your streams, if so, where, buffer length, etc.
-Make sure your Audio settings are appropriate (audio interface and mics are selected, Hotkeys are set up, etc

That's the jist of it. Everything else is generally left as default unless problems occur. Who is providing what gear and when are we planning on doing this or at least a systems test?
Jaygh
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Jaygh » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:17 pm

I have a laptop, it has a webcam built in but I'd want to find one for a top down view. I'll be at empire tomorrow for the tournament, I could probably test after if you're down.
Rommel013
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Rommel013 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:24 am

Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to make it to the Tourney - wish I could. I'm definitely interested in assisting in this idea.

I've got access to some audio recording gear (Interface, condenser mic, dynamic vocal mics, cables, stands, etc) and a 1080p USB Webcam.

I think, ideally, we'd want a webcam on the action itself, as well as one for the commentators. I think having a live stream, as well as a post-game edited video would be ideal that gives the overview and highlights - I really enjoy watching battle recaps, but sometimes I don't want to spend an hour+ doing so.

I'm pretty open next week if we want to set up a day to do a test run and work the kinks out.
Jaygh
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Jaygh » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:18 am

I'll see if I can work it out: I'm working a lot this summer, so actually once school starts I'll have more time. I'm pretty into this idea though.
ds4502
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby ds4502 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:18 pm

Any updates on this?
Jaygh
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Jaygh » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:30 pm

At least from my end, work got a little hectic to the point where I'll have more time once I get back to school starting next week. I'll start working out more solid plans then.
dark_deco_fan
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Postby dark_deco_fan » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:35 pm

Has anything become of this? I'm still willing to volunteer.