A simple tourney request....

General discussion about Warhammer 40k
Mojo_Jojo
Warchief
Warchief

Re: A simple tourney request....

Postby Mojo_Jojo » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:06 am

now THAT is interesting.... (the thumbs up/down metric) I was considering some sort of procedure that if someone got tanked in the sports score I would take the player who wrote that score aside and asked him SPECIFICALLY what the issue/issues were. I would ask straight out if the outcome/score of the game had anything to do with the sports score... Maybe the rating system could be something along the lines of:

Crappy, he sucks and is a douche canoe.
A good, decent game of 40k.
Loved it, would drive across the valley to play against this opponent.

Guys, I am REALLY interested in feedback on tourneys, what some would like to see, what sucked. I try to design missions to be something other than "lets show up, pay $10 to play 3x rulebook missions". Keep in mind that in a typical tourney IMHO we have 3 classes of players show up.

A) Have just started playing / didn't play 5th edition / and or/play maybe once a month and have little or no idea what other codices do.
B) Get 2-3 games a month in and are familiar with what other codices can do.
C) Play at least 3 games each weekend, can recite stats and special rules on what their opponents codex does....

That is an opinion. Now, I try to design a tourney packet that is fun, doesn't tailor to any particular codex and uses the KISS principle... (Keep It Simple Stupid!). Also, instead of just having primary/secondary I try to toss in things that actually raise eyebrows and make people laugh and make lists to be all around good lists and not objective-tailor made.....

On a side note.... Having 2 glasses of Jameson's over ice is a nice remedy to rants...
Abaddon
Warboss
Warboss

Postby Abaddon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:26 am

I like the Thumbs Up / Thumbs Down idea, or even the 3 possible choices. I have always felt that sportsmanship should be an automatic common courtesy. But as we know some folks just attach WAY too much importance to their win as opposed to having a good time and making it a good time for others. I guess I just get to play so seldom anymore that I want it to be enjoyable above all else when I get time.

Also, I believe there should be a little something extra for those who really took time to paint their own armies well. This is a part of embracing the hobby as a whole, otherwise we would have mass-produced, pre-painted models on the table. I realize that some can't paint as well as others, but we all sucked horribly when we started. It has taken me years to paint to the level I do now (and I aint the best by a long stretch) after lots of study and seeking out people who are better than me. Not getting scored on painting at a tournament is like giving participation trophies to the kids who just showed up, we know I have problems with that concept. Anyway, I know there will never be a perfect tourney setup to suit everyone, but I really appreciate you reaching out to the community for feedback. Your effort shows that you and Darren are always working to increase the class and professionalism of what you do and it makes a difference.
Jaygh
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Jaygh » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:10 pm

Abaddon wrote: Anyway, I know there will never be a perfect tourney setup to suit everyone, but I really appreciate you reaching out to the community for feedback. Your effort shows that you and Darren are always working to increase the class and professionalism of what you do and it makes a difference.

QFT. Sadly, I've only been able to make it out to 3 IO tourneys, but all 3 have been excellently run, and full of both fun and competitive games. I really do appreciate the effort you and Darren put into running your events, and if college allows i'll be at many of your future events.

On the topic of tournament rules packets, check out these: http://www.frontlinegaming.org/community/bao-tournament-format/ These are the same people who run the Bay Area Open GT, which I attended this year and had a lot of fun. The missions really do ensure that every game is balanced and fun, while at the same time being easy to understand. They also changed my opinions on mysterious objectives.
NightLordsOldtimer
Warboss
Warboss

Postby NightLordsOldtimer » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:35 am

@Jay:

It may have been before your time playing (maybe not), but when Deathwing was running the 40K tournaments at Gamers Inn for 4 years, we always had a sportsmanship score. You're right, in a lot of cases everyone maxes out and it becomes a non-factor in the overall scoring/results, but in some cases it was a deciding factor, and by a small margin. We evolved to a 4 point system that didn't weigh as heavily as W/L/D scores, but it could tip the scales in a close event, and I really can't remember a time when someone "abused" it by tanking all their opponents. I had that happen to me once, years ago, but we were on the bottom table and the person who did it didn't surprise me by doing it. Anyway, it can work, and knowing that it's there can tend to make players be on somewhat better behavior than they might otherwise when there isn't a sportsmanship score involved.

On the other hand, I know a lot of players who don't like to lose a tournament based on a subjective score when they otherwise were undefeated. It's a tough balancing act to get it right, and depends on your player community, which does tend to evolve over time. Deathwing no longer runs tournaments, because we don't need to, seeing as Jimmy runs a 40K event twice a month at Empire. But I think sportsmanship is an important part of any game, and you get out of it what you put into it.

Just sayin....
A bad day of gaming beats a good day of work (or school) every time!
ds4502
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby ds4502 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:34 am

Well, I know that a few of the guys I play with @ IO with and I loved the Purge the Allen mission from the escalation tourney that you had and would like to see it come back.
Mojo_Jojo
Warchief
Warchief

Postby Mojo_Jojo » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:31 am

Lol it was a typo that I didn't really notice until about a week before the tourney and decided to keep the name in there. I do think the % system translating into battle points worked out well. I might tweak it to give 1/2 a point for 1/2 a unit dead or 1/2 (rounding up) hull points on a vehicle.

Keep the feedback coming!