A simple tourney request....

General discussion about Warhammer 40k
Mojo_Jojo
Warchief
Warchief

A simple tourney request....

Postby Mojo_Jojo » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:43 pm

A small tourney rant...

For those of us (myself included since I play both armies regularly) who play CSM's and Demons... please, Please, PLEASE!!! Roll all of your Chaos Boons and Daemonic Rewards IN FULL VIEW OF YOUR OPPONENT!!! This goes double, no triple for those in a tourney...

To a lesser extent, warlord traits as well, but the boons/gifts can have so much more effect on gameplay than warlord traits mostly do, so I thought I'd throw that in as well...

rant concluded.
Ak2Az
Warchief
Warchief

Re: A simple tourney request....

Postby Ak2Az » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:59 pm

Lol someone roll a 64 multi boons d3+1 boons, then got 4 of the best boons they could use? Or should I say "rolled" ^_^
onecooldad
Warchief
Warchief

Postby onecooldad » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:27 am

Mojo:

I know that you are the W40K tournament organizer and W40K rules guru at IOG. When making out the written tournament rules, as well as during the general tournament announcements that are made before game play begins, you should include content reiterating what you have stated here.

That will just clear the air regarding the proper means of handling the generation of boons, gifts, traits, and etc.

ocd 8)
I USED TO ROLL THE DICE, FEEL THE FEAR IN MY ENEMIES' EYES...

VIVA LA VIDA (Coldplay)
Mojo_Jojo
Warchief
Warchief

Postby Mojo_Jojo » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:55 am

Will definitely do in the future... this past one was the feast of blades format/packet so even though we weren't allowed to modify any of it, I still should of made an announcement or something to gently remind those who may of "forgotten" that your opponent should always know what you are rolling for and when.....

This will not... happen.. again...
Abaddon
Warboss
Warboss

Postby Abaddon » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:31 pm

You mean someone wasn't being 100% clear and honest in their rolls in a tourney with no sportsmanship scores....go figure.
Jaygh
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Jaygh » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:27 pm

Abaddon wrote:You mean someone wasn't being 100% clear and honest in their rolls in a tourney with no sportsmanship scores....go figure.

If you think sportsmanship scores do anything in a competitive environment, you haven't played in a competitive environment. Douches will be douches no matter what, and all sports does is hamstring people into letting things slide because they don't want to get docked points.
ds4502
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby ds4502 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:26 pm

I think we need a tourney that weighs a bit on sportsmanship scores :P.
Yumaz
Warchief
Warchief

Postby Yumaz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:33 pm

Yeah, sadly, I've decided even a lot of "friendly" games include their share of douches. I think some people have been bending rules and conventions so long they may not even realize they're doing it. But, whatever. I'm just one of those saps who likes to play miniatures games win or lose. It's about fun for me. I like to paint armies and see them on the table. And take pictures. And say stuff like, "Wow, that looks cool." But, diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.
Mojo_Jojo
Warchief
Warchief

Postby Mojo_Jojo » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:38 pm

I've been kicking around the idea of implementing sportsmanship and painting into total tourney score... Thinking 1/3 from painting/sportsmanship and 2/3 game performance. I think 1/4 sportsmanship, 1/4 painting and 1/2 battle points to be a bit much... If there was one thing I did really like from the Feast of Blades tourney packet was their painting rubric, since it was totally objective and not subjective and was quite easy to follow and fill out.

On a side note: we (Darren and I) decided that due to warlord traits/boons/gifts that 15mins be added to each round to allow for all the pre game random rolls and subsequent record keeping. I think that did go over well at least.
Jaygh
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Jaygh » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:25 am

ds4502 wrote:I think we need a tourney that weighs a bit on sportsmanship scores :P.

While that's good in theory, the same people who would be douches in the first place can then tank other people's sports. The sportsmanship scoring system is a terrible mechanic. At best, everyone gives everyone else a max score, and it cancels out and is pointless. At worst, people tank each other (either because of inexperience as to what sportsmanship means, or on purpose), and people lose because of a bogus sports score.

However, if you feel like you need a sportsmanship score, I would suggest a Bay Area Open style thumbs up/down system. If you had a decent or better game, you give the other guy a thumbs up. If you feel the guy slowplayed, showed up late to a round, cheated, or was verbally abusive during the game, you give him a thumbs down. If a thumbs down happens, then the judge goes and talks to the two players involved, and makes a ruling that could be anywhere from reversing a win to a loss, to having them thrown out of the event, depending on how many thumbs down the guy has received. It's a simple but effective system, and you'll find you rarely get a thumbs down.