New Apocalypse Rules

General discussion about Warhammer 40k
onecooldad
Warchief
Warchief

New Apocalypse Rules

Postby onecooldad » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:36 pm

Howdy folks:

For those who don't know me, I used to be a VERY avid W40K player. Nowadays, not so much, mostly because of a much increased responsibilities at work. Having said that, I do remember that six years ago, when the original Apocalypse rules came out, my (at that time large) circle of W40K friends got all excited and most of us JUST HAD TO have the big templates, the main book & the ancillary books, as well as getting at least one Apocalypse-only model from Forge world.

Well, the new Apocalypse book came out several days ago, and I notice that no one is talking about it here on the forums. There seems to be absolutely no buzz at all about it. Here on WargamerAZ, at least. I know that people are buying the new Apoc stuff, because I talked with a couple of long-time staff members at my LGS, and they said that sales of the new Apoc stuff has been quite brisk.

So...

1) Are folks just not playing it this time? If not, why not?
2) Are the new book & templates too expensive?
3) Is the new Apoc stuff just a re-hash of the same-old-shite? *
4) Or... WHAT?

This is not just some lame attempt to start a debate/arguement/conversation here at WargamerAz. I really do want to know what the W40K crowd is thinking about this new Apoc rules set -- and I'm probably not the only one.

Please lemme know your thoughts.

Thanks,
ocd 8)

One thing that was brought to my attention is that perhaps the problem is that the very nature of the Apocalypse game, both old set and new set, is based on two concepts that take the W40K game in two radically different directions. One of those concepts is really cool, and the other is fatally flawed. The first awesomely cool concept -- the idea of playing with the really powerful titans, super-heavies and special formations -- people are drawn to that and really like it. The 2nd and fatally flawed concept is the idea of playing every model in your collection, which in the case of some players is absurd because it results in a game that takes way too long, where nobody has much fun. If this was the biggest problem with the old Apoc set, and if the new Apoc set is merely a polishing-up of the old set, is this the reason that there is no buzz about the new set at Wargamer AZ?
Last edited by onecooldad on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I USED TO ROLL THE DICE, FEEL THE FEAR IN MY ENEMIES' EYES...

VIVA LA VIDA (Coldplay)
cyrax89
Warboss
Warboss

Re: New Apocalypse Rules

Postby cyrax89 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:35 pm

Never was an apoc fan to begin with. Love the Titans and the super heavies but my goodness the game takes far to long!
Vet_Tanker
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Postby Vet_Tanker » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:01 pm

I know from other forums that a lot of people just aren't too impressed with the newly released models. That, and last time the bundles were at a discounted price compared to buying each kit separately whereas none of the One-Click Collections this time offer any sort of bargain.
The Emperor protects!
Ak2Az
Warchief
Warchief

Postby Ak2Az » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:11 pm

I use to play Apoc, but the way I played was team death match, basically a 2v2 of a run what you brung and the more heavies the better. To my understanding Apoc is supposed to be a 4-5 turn(depending on time or if someone is an outright victor), heavy blast template, dice in a bucket dump game. The more relaxed the rules the quicker the games and more enjoyable because the idea is not a die hard must win tourney setting but a group/pair of friends getting together to see what a game with all their random big stuff would be like.
NightLordsOldtimer
Warboss
Warboss

Postby NightLordsOldtimer » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:09 am

Ak2Az wrote:I use to play Apoc, but the way I played was team death match, basically a 2v2 of a run what you brung and the more heavies the better. To my understanding Apoc is supposed to be a 4-5 turn(depending on time or if someone is an outright victor), heavy blast template, dice in a bucket dump game. The more relaxed the rules the quicker the games and more enjoyable because the idea is not a die hard must win tourney setting but a group/pair of friends getting together to see what a game with all their random big stuff would be like.

I think you've nailed it on the head, at least IMHO. Apoc for me and my friends was all about bring ALL of your models, even stuff you never used cuz it generally sucked, and throwing down huge amounts of dice. From what I've read in the new Apoc book and in White Dwarf, Strength-D is everywhere, and you need to be prepared to pick up entire squads all in one go. You can bring whatever you want and have, including any cool Forge World stuff you've collected over the years, and who cares if the points don't equal out between sides, you just let the guys with fewer points take some more Strategic Assets.

Apoc is certainly (again, IMHO) not intended for comptetative play, but for making a fun day of gaming with a group of buddies and trying to get past Turn 2 in the time limit you've given yourselves. LOL!

BTW, i don't know if it's been mentioned, but Empire is planning a store-wide, all day Apoc extravaganza for Saturday, September 14th. Only requirement is that your models HAVE to be painted. There's some other details, including an entry fee and that includes a T-shirt, but I don't have all the details, so I suggest anyone who's interested give Jimmy a call at the shop and ask, until they get something posted.... Sounds like fun, and I might even take part, seeing as I'll have so much stuff painted up by then. Oh, and if you don't have an Apoc-sized amount of models painted, Brock mentioned that they'd have smaller games taking place at the same time and throughout the day, a la Kill Team or maybe something else, that will have some sort of an effect on the main Apoc game going on. Like, if you take out a shield generator, then one team's section of the Wall of Martyrs gets hit with an orbital bombardment in the next turn, stuff like that. So you can still participate if you have a smaller number of models painted, or can't spend all day in a mega-battle length of time...

Like I said, best to call the store... :-P
A bad day of gaming beats a good day of work (or school) every time!