Impending Eldar release and FLGS rationing...

General discussion about Warhammer 40k
Mojo_Jojo
Warchief
Warchief

Re: Impending Eldar release and FLGS rationing...

Postby Mojo_Jojo » Sun May 26, 2013 11:10 pm

I was afraid that this was going to degenerate into GW vs PP hatred. Remember, the original post was about GW rationing their new release product, if we can keep it on that topic, I'd appreciate it.
cyrax89
Warboss
Warboss

Postby cyrax89 » Mon May 27, 2013 4:02 am

Ashes if you hate 40k so much why comment on a post about a 40k release? Anyways I am sad to hear about the rationing, makes no sense to me at all. Maybe they truly do not have the inventory to support a massive release? They have been shooting out release consecutively so I can kinda see inventory being fairly slim due to this. But hey who the hell knows right?
Ashes Nei
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Postby Ashes Nei » Mon May 27, 2013 4:59 am

cyrax89 wrote:Ashes if you hate 40k so much why comment on a post about a 40k release? Anyways I am sad to hear about the rationing, makes no sense to me at all. Maybe they truly do not have the inventory to support a massive release? They have been shooting out release consecutively so I can kinda see inventory being fairly slim due to this. But hey who the hell knows right?

Why? Because of this:

So - while GeeDub is rationing out new releases to their retailers, they seem to have a limitless amount of product available to individuals who pre-order or order from their online site.
This hurts the brick and mortar stores that we all love to play at. They don't see a dime of that army you had to purchase online because the models weren't available in their store.
And you get to play that army that GeeDub made more of a profit margin on at that lovely brick and mortar store for free.

This is an untenable situation, and not the first shot that Games Workshop has fired across the bow of our local store's collective ships. I don't like the game - I think I made that fairly obvious, but I could care less if people play it or not. What really tweaks me is how the company's actions will impact the larger community as a whole.
DrunkenSamurai

Postby DrunkenSamurai » Mon May 27, 2013 9:21 am

You know what, there are people who enjoy GW games and there are some that do not. Personally, I have given up on GW games for many of the reasons that you have mentioned. But I don't feel the need to rip on the company every time a new GW post comes up. You should let the people who actually play the game and are impacted by these issues discuss them. Don't just use this as an excuse to bash the game and the company in a futile attempt to get people to come over to your side of thinking. If you have something truly constructive to add please do but do it in a non-confrontational way.

Thanks
Lightningman
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Lightningman » Mon May 27, 2013 8:05 pm

Well said DS.

I didn't want to get into this thread any further but as I follow it I have to wonder... Do GW players go drop the kids off at the pool in every new PP thread the way some of the PP fans seem inclined to do here? I mean I don't like their game so I just don't go in their forum. I mean the thought never even occurred to me to go in there and read the posts much less offer any commentary.
azjosh2001
Warchief
Warchief

Postby azjosh2001 » Mon May 27, 2013 9:50 pm

Any chance some of the "rationing" is a result of GW banging out release after release? I mean, how new is the Tau, CSM or Deamon releases? Maybe that Riptide is causing backlogs on the plastic printing presses...
Or GW is the devil. Either way, I still play. If I step foot in my FLGS, I buy something, I feel that helps keep them around.
Abaddon
Warboss
Warboss

Postby Abaddon » Tue May 28, 2013 6:36 am

I have an idea. Does anyone have any inroads or contacts within GW? Perhaps instead of beating up on each other we work as a community to find a communications channel into GW. A way to respectfully voice our concerns. I know people say "We're just one small group, nobody cares", but consider that your circle of influence might also reach out of state to other communities and forums. Every movement starts somewhere. As a company that has investors and a board of directors, they might really benefit from actual customer feedback. I'm willing to put my investigative efforts forward if you are. I'm always going to support my local stores and this is a way to do that as well. Listen guys, there's enough negativity everywhere else outside of your gaming fun, no reason to bring it in here too. There is a choice, sit and gripe, or work to effect positive change.

So, here's what I propose- a small group of us can discuss what we're willing to do to look into a communications conduit, and then relay that information back. Take emails, letters etc from anyone that wants to voice anything and push it forward. If by chance we actually get our feedback to be recognized by anyone substantial and then they ignore us, then let the bashing continue. But until then, let's keep it moving forward in a good way. We owe that respect to each other, our local stores, and the community as a whole.

Bash me all you want, but this is what I've got to say.
cyrax89
Warboss
Warboss

Postby cyrax89 » Tue May 28, 2013 12:31 pm

Abaddon wrote:I have an idea. Does anyone have any inroads or contacts within GW? Perhaps instead of beating up on each other we work as a community to find a communications channel into GW. A way to respectfully voice our concerns. I know people say "We're just one small group, nobody cares", but consider that your circle of influence might also reach out of state to other communities and forums. Every movement starts somewhere. As a company that has investors and a board of directors, they might really benefit from actual customer feedback. I'm willing to put my investigative efforts forward if you are. I'm always going to support my local stores and this is a way to do that as well. Listen guys, there's enough negativity everywhere else outside of your gaming fun, no reason to bring it in here too. There is a choice, sit and gripe, or work to effect positive change.

So, here's what I propose- a small group of us can discuss what we're willing to do to look into a communications conduit, and then relay that information back. Take emails, letters etc from anyone that wants to voice anything and push it forward. If by chance we actually get our feedback to be recognized by anyone substantial and then they ignore us, then let the bashing continue. But until then, let's keep it moving forward in a good way. We owe that respect to each other, our local stores, and the community as a whole.

Hey if anything it's a start.
Lightningman
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Lightningman » Tue May 28, 2013 3:37 pm

Abaddon, while I like your concept, I have a strong sense that the company itself may be impervious to this sort of approach. I suspect they have fallen to a combination of very streamlined groupthink internally and in all probability some corporate shark business types are steering the bus with little or no understanding of their own business environment. In business school they talk about making as much as the market will allow you to make off each unit you sell of whatever you sell. It is almost as if someone is hinged on that concept to the exclusion of all others.

I do think that if it were possible to contact shareholders directly (and letter bomb them with disgruntled mail) you might make waves enough for them to take notice. After all if people start selling and the stock goes down that is a bit harder to ignore.

I'm down to help out in any way I can though if you want to go for it.
Ashes Nei
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Postby Ashes Nei » Wed May 29, 2013 3:38 am

Abaddon wrote:I have an idea. Does anyone have any inroads or contacts within GW? Perhaps instead of beating up on each other we work as a community to find a communications channel into GW. A way to respectfully voice our concerns. I know people say "We're just one small group, nobody cares", but consider that your circle of influence might also reach out of state to other communities and forums. Every movement starts somewhere. As a company that has investors and a board of directors, they might really benefit from actual customer feedback. I'm willing to put my investigative efforts forward if you are. I'm always going to support my local stores and this is a way to do that as well. Listen guys, there's enough negativity everywhere else outside of your gaming fun, no reason to bring it in here too. There is a choice, sit and gripe, or work to effect positive change.

Well said, and I concur. I kind of have to agree with Lightningman though - attempting to appeal to the corporation or the individuals responsible for implementing these destructive policies is futile in my opinion.
All caustic dialogue aside, if you have a decent plan to help the local stores, and the gaming community as a whole - I can get behind it.