Impending Eldar release and FLGS rationing...

General discussion about Warhammer 40k
Mojo_Jojo
Warchief
Warchief

Impending Eldar release and FLGS rationing...

Postby Mojo_Jojo » Tue May 21, 2013 2:10 am

Not sure if this is a direct result of the Tau supply meltdown or not, but my FLGS has been told that with this Eldar release he is VERY limited in what they can order for the June 1st release.... Codices... no cap. Flyer and the Wraithknight? 3-5 boxes. Wraithguard and the Jetbikes (which, in the case of the bikes are NOT new sculpts) 6-8 boxes. And this cap will be in place for the first two weeks, after that, there are no restrictions for what they can order....

So....

Is this a money grab forcing people away from local retailers and into the warm embrace of GW direct sales?

Is this a last stab from hell's heart into the chest of online retailers?

Is this a actual shortage what's actually been produced?

I wonder what the GW store in Scottsdale is capped at? If any...

Thoughts?
onecooldad
Warchief
Warchief

Re: Impending Eldar release and FLGS rationing...

Postby onecooldad » Tue May 21, 2013 4:49 pm

MJ:

I think that it is highly likely that you have not received many responses on this thread for two reasons:

1) No one is genuinely surprised at any of what you have posted. For a big successful company like GW, who makes some really awesome miniatures games, to have such ham-fisted marketing efforts is now no longer a surprise to anyone.

2) Those gamers who would like to respond on this thread are a little wary of posting their completely-justified wrath/anger/negativity, because the number of expletives (nasty cuss words) would probably get their posts edited away by the Moderators.

Having said that... thanks for posting this stuff.

It's nice to be "in the know."

ocd 8)
I USED TO ROLL THE DICE, FEEL THE FEAR IN MY ENEMIES' EYES...

VIVA LA VIDA (Coldplay)
Mojo_Jojo
Warchief
Warchief

Postby Mojo_Jojo » Tue May 21, 2013 11:31 pm

Well I do hope that anyone reading this knows that starting a GW flame war would be the last thing I would be trying to start. (Heck, internet arguments were the main reason I deleted my facebook account)

Since it's such a radical departure from previous new releases I was (and still am) hoping for some honest reasons why they would do this. With what little true knowledge I have of the gaming retail industry, game reps usually try to UPSELL you their product, not ration it.

Has anyone heard similar rumblings from other stores in the valley?
cyrax89
Warboss
Warboss

Postby cyrax89 » Wed May 22, 2013 1:53 am

I have heard of no such limitations. I know several retailers worldwide and any sort of a stock limitation would surely made the headlines of BoK or BoLs. The only reason I could think GW would even remotely consider doing this is to strengthen demand for stuff currently on the shelves. The only warning one of my buddies got from a GW rep was not to order many Fire Prisms. This is open to any interpretation. My Eldar army has been collecting dust for ages and based on some of these rumors I am very excited to see what Phil Kelly has done with the codex. Cannot see myself spending $115.00 on that Wraithknight even though it is bad ass I just cannot picture myself ever using something like that.
Abaddon
Warboss
Warboss

Postby Abaddon » Wed May 22, 2013 9:13 am

It is happening. I have talked to a couple retailers that are not happy about it. Why? nobody knows, but there seems to be an issue delivering product for a release weekend, however no problem with your full order arriving the next Monday.

It begs the question, what are they trying to do to the retailers? I used to be an Outrider for GW, and the message then was always "Support the retailers", we did that by building a buzz about what was coming. We were allowed to point people to the "Unofficial" released pics and sneak peaks out on the web etc to build events for release day and the retailers always had lots of product on hand to sell.

I don't understand the logic, but perhaps we're not supposed to. I just have the concern and fear that a game that I have loved for years will be compromised in it's existence by clueless individuals. Since I don't work for them, I really have no grounds to make statements as to the intentions, it just bothers me how business owners are treated, it's hard enough to run your business and eek out a profit, let alone fight a battle on 2 fronts.

Lets just hope it gets a lot better.
ChaosUndivided
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Postby ChaosUndivided » Thu May 23, 2013 5:21 am

I think it's become easy to hate GW (and for good reasons) but, sometimes I think people just over look some of the facts. I started playing this game in 2007, from 2007 to the last 5ed codex in 2011 GW released 8 codexes. Sometimes they came out with new models sometimes (like Tyranids) got here's a codex there isn't a model for half of your army or weapons. Since the start of 6ed we already have 5 codexes with 6 being June 1st with the eldar and rumors going that SM, IG, orks, and tyranids might all be in 2013 or beginning of 2014. GW is putting out a lot more product faster than they ever have before so, yeah, there might be some delays. I know everyone is on a hate GW kick right now, but I don’t think there is any hidden motive behind the delays.
Lightningman
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Lightningman » Thu May 23, 2013 7:07 am

I don't know what is up with the shipping for friday vs monday issue but I am betting it has something to do with the idiotic levels of secrecy they try to maintain about what is coming and when.

Particularly with fantasy I would very much like to know what is being planned for my army a few months in advance.
Abaddon
Warboss
Warboss

Postby Abaddon » Thu May 23, 2013 7:44 am

Yeah, I mean would it only make sense to get us excited about upcoming releases so we can save our pennies and put them aside to get our new shiny stuff?

Well, perhaps if they go through with the sale of the company things might get better, or perhaps worse. Whatever the case, I will still enjoy painting and playing with good friends and supporting our local retailers even if the company itself doesn't.
NightLordsOldtimer
Warboss
Warboss

Postby NightLordsOldtimer » Fri May 24, 2013 12:17 am

ChaosUndivided wrote:I think it's become easy to hate GW (and for good reasons) but, sometimes I think people just over look some of the facts. I started playing this game in 2007, from 2007 to the last 5ed codex in 2011 GW released 8 codexes. Sometimes they came out with new models sometimes (like Tyranids) got here's a codex there isn't a model for half of your army or weapons. Since the start of 6ed we already have 5 codexes with 6 being June 1st with the eldar and rumors going that SM, IG, orks, and tyranids might all be in 2013 or beginning of 2014. GW is putting out a lot more product faster than they ever have before so, yeah, there might be some delays. I know everyone is on a hate GW kick right now, but I don’t think there is any hidden motive behind the delays.

+1

I'm with you on this. Look at all the great stuff GW has been doing in terms of cranking out new stuff (and really nice, stuff, too) since 6th Ed came out. Sure, it hasn't been perfect, there's been some slip-ups, but you can't say they're not trying. Yeah, I don't understand why they don't give us advance info so we can get all excited and financially ready; it would be great if they released a single "store copy" of the next codex a week or two before pre-orders to retailers so folks could start planning their lists and getting excited for release day. But otherwise, I think what they've been doing in terms of the sheer volume of new codexes & models is great!

Enough with the hate, already... Try to look on the bright side, for once... :-D
A bad day of gaming beats a good day of work (or school) every time!
Ashes Nei
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Postby Ashes Nei » Fri May 24, 2013 2:05 am