Militarum Tempestus

Post your army lists for Warhammer 40k here.
GT3000
Warchief
Warchief

Militarum Tempestus

Postby GT3000 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:26 pm

Here's my list.

1500 points

Primary Detachment: 565pts
HQ
Commissar (25)

TROOPS
2x Tempestus Scions (270)
Grenade Launcher(2) (One in each squad)

FAST ATTACK
2x Valkyries (270)
Lascannon(2)

FORMATION: 935pts
(Ground Assault: Disembarking from Taurox Prime gives that unit Pinning and Twin-Linked Special Rules)
1x Tempestus Command Squad (95)
Vox-Caster(1), Grenade Launcher(1)

1x Commissar (25)

3x Tempestus Scion Squads (495)
Vox-Caster(3), Plasmagun(6)

4x Taurox Prime (320)
Autocannon(4)
NightLordsOldtimer
Warboss
Warboss

Re: Militarum Tempestus

Postby NightLordsOldtimer » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:03 pm

Good use of the Formation, and the flexibility that you can now get in 6th with them.

I'd just recommend swapping half the plasma guns for melta guns, and using the extra 15 points for melta bombs on your 2 Commissars and the Tempestus Command Squad. Unless you're thinking the 2 Valks will do all your anti-armor heavy lifting, but with only 1 lascannnon each and only 2 of them, that's not very reliable at BS3, and you're going to want ways to deal with high AV armor.

Just my humble opinion, tho. Otherwise, seems like a solid, if pricey (points) army...
A bad day of gaming beats a good day of work (or school) every time!
exlibrismortis
Warboss
Warboss

Postby exlibrismortis » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:11 pm

From what I see, you can deal with everything except heavy armor. Yes you have two valkyries, but they won't come in until turn 2 and like Nightlords said, that BS3 mean you hit 50% of the time. Which in a game that lasts 5-7 turns, you're hitting 1-3 turns on averages.

I would switch some plasmaguns out with meltas, but not all. Dedicate a squad to anti-tank, and the rest to anti-heavy infantry.
NightLordsOldtimer
Warboss
Warboss

Postby NightLordsOldtimer » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:58 pm

exlibrismortis wrote:I would switch some plasmaguns out with meltas, but not all. Dedicate a squad to anti-tank, and the rest to anti-heavy infantry.

The problem I've found with having a dedicated anti-tank squad is, that it's easily targeted, and they might end up on the wrong side of the battlefield from what they want to kill, spend the majority of the game trying to get to their target(s), only to die in the process. What I've found that works for me (so far) is to have one plasma and one melta in the same squad. This is a double-edged sword, in that each squad now becomes more versatile and you don't need to worry about where you place your anti-whatever squad; however, with only one melta gun per squad, what if that guy misses when he shoots? Having 2 meltas in the same squad increases your chances of hitting what you're trying to pop.

So, it's a matter of taste and situation. For me, having the 1 melta/1 plasma allows me to deploy quicker, 'cuz I don't have to worry about where to put my melta guns. I also try to take melta bombs on my Nurgle Biker Lord who doesn't have a power fist, and if there are points left over on the Aspiring Champs in the Plague Marine squads. I'm expecting to see more armor on the tables now that IG/AM has arrived... :-P
exlibrismortis
Warboss
Warboss

Postby exlibrismortis » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:38 pm

In the old Iguard codex I ran vet squads with 2 plasma/1melta combo. After three tournaments and few games, I found it was highly ineffective. It was a situation fo trying to be the jack of all trades, but ended up becoming the master of none.

Once I switched to dedicated squads for tank/MC hunting, and heavy infantry/light vehicle destroyers, it ended up being glorious.

Thought I can't speak to this new codex beyond what I've heard it being amazing.
NightLordsOldtimer
Warboss
Warboss

Postby NightLordsOldtimer » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:50 pm

exlibrismortis wrote:In the old Iguard codex I ran vet squads with 2 plasma/1melta combo. After three tournaments and few games, I found it was highly ineffective. It was a situation fo trying to be the jack of all trades, but ended up becoming the master of none.

Once I switched to dedicated squads for tank/MC hunting, and heavy infantry/light vehicle destroyers, it ended up being glorious.

Though I can't speak to this new codex beyond what I've heard it being amazing.

I see your point. I don't play IG, mostly Plague Marines, and I've found the "utility knife" approach gives me good flexibility, but then I've got BS4 bolters in the rest of the squad after the 2 special weapons I'm allowed, and I'm usually looking to get into close combat with them, since with plague knives they wound everything on a 4+ or better, and with FNP can survive a lot longer than an IG squad with mostly lasguns. I've tried concentrating the plasmas in two squads and the meltas in two other squads, with a squad of each in a Rhino for mobility, but have found that the meltas have a tendency to not be where they could be the most effective, and wished I had a plasma gun there, and vice versa, where the squad with 2 plasmas can reach the armor but can't do much to it. But with 3 special weapons and cheaper dudes, I can see having dedicated anti tank/MC crews and anti heavy armor crews in an IG army.

Point being, which I think we both made, is that he needs some melta guns in the mix to deal with what meltas are good at dealing with. LOL!
GT3000
Warchief
Warchief

Postby GT3000 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:22 pm

I took a pretty good look at what you guys said and here's what I came up with.

1500 points

Primary Detachment: 565pts
HQ
Commissar (25)

TROOPS
2x Tempestus Scions (270)
Grenade Launcher(2) (One in each squad)

FAST ATTACK
2x Valkyries (270)
Lascannon(2)

FORMATION: 935pts
(Ground Assault: Disembarking from Taurox Prime gives that unit Pinning and Twin-Linked Special Rules)
1x Tempestus Command Squad (95)
Vox-Caster(1), Grenade Launcher(1)

1x Commissar (25)

3x Tempestus Scion Squads (495)
Vox-Caster(3), Plasmagun(2), Meltaguns(4)

4x Taurox Prime (340)
Autocannon(4)Missile Launcher(1)

Dropped 4 Plasmaguns, gave the other two squads Meltaguns to better deal with armor, and upgraded one of the dedicated Taurox Primes with a Missile Launcher for greater versatility.
exlibrismortis
Warboss
Warboss

Postby exlibrismortis » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:20 pm

I like the changes. I only just now noticed the taurox's have autocannons so that'll be really nice for dealing with other APC's on the field.

The meltaguns are a good option for dealing with MC's as well, remember that. So yeah, looks solid now.
GT3000
Warchief
Warchief

Postby GT3000 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:12 pm

exlibrismortis wrote:I like the changes. I only just now noticed the taurox's have autocannons so that'll be really nice for dealing with other APC's on the field.

The meltaguns are a good option for dealing with MC's as well, remember that. So yeah, looks solid now.

Do Allies/Formations retain their orders when apart of another list? I was thinking of a Astra Militarum primary detatchement (for Wyverns) and then appending the formation to that but I really like the Scion orders.
NightLordsOldtimer
Warboss
Warboss

Postby NightLordsOldtimer » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:28 pm

GT3000 wrote:
exlibrismortis wrote:I like the changes. I only just now noticed the taurox's have autocannons so that'll be really nice for dealing with other APC's on the field.

Do Allies/Formations retain their orders when apart of another list? I was thinking of a Astra Militarum primary detatchement (for Wyverns) and then appending the formation to that but I really like the Scion orders.

As I understand it, each Detachment issues orders to their own units. So the Astra Militarum officer(s) would issue orders to the IG units, and the Militarum Tempestus officer(s) would issue orders to the Scions of an MT Detachment....