Space Wolf DropPod List - 1750pts

Post your army lists for Warhammer 40k here.
zXzGrifterzXz
Warchief
Warchief

Space Wolf DropPod List - 1750pts

Postby zXzGrifterzXz » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:22 pm

-HQ-
~ Wolf Lord - 225pts
(Runic Armor, Power Fist, Storm Shield, Wolf Tail Talisman, Thunder Wolf Mount)
~ Rune Priest - 110pts
(Runic Axe, Chooser of the Slain, Powers - Jaws of the World Wolf & Living Lightning)
~ Rune Priest - 110pts
(Runic Sword, Wolf Tooth Necklace, Powers - Murderous Hurricane & Jaws of the World Wolf)

-ELITES-
~ Wolf Guard x 4 - 292pts
(1 x Combi-Melta , 3 x Tactical Dreadnaught Armor, Arjac Rockfist Upgrade)

-TROOPS-
~ Grey Hunters x 5 - 115pts
(1 x MeltaGun, DropPod)
(1 x MeltaGun, DropPod)
(1 x MeltaGun, DropPod)
(1 x MeltaGun, DropPod)

-HEAVY-
~ Long Fangs x 6 - 175pts
(5 x Missile Launcher, DropPod[Drops Empty])
~ Long Fangs x 5 - 115pts
(4 x Missile Launcher)
(4 x Missile Launcher)

-FAST-
~ ThunderWolf Cavalry x 2 - 145pts
(1 x Storm Shield, 1 x Power Sword)

-1750pts-

I pay for an empty pod for the Long Fangs so I can drop three pods turn 1 via DropPodAssault Rules. Basic Style of play is a Wolf Guard TDA(Or Arjac) with each Grey Hunter Squad and a Rune Priest each is attached to two of the squads coming out turn 1. Arjac can throw his hammer and knock fast MCs down to I1 and the Rune Priests can Jaws said MCs right off the table. Two other Grey Hunter squads that dont have ICs with them are usually either sitting on an Objective or taking out enemy armor, especially the one Grey Hunter Squad that is paired with the TDA-Wolf Guard carrying a Combi-Melta. Long Fangs deploy on table in high ground and do what they do best. WolfLord on Thunder Wolf with his Cav take out anthing that gets away from the Grey Hunters and needs a S10 Power Fist in the face. One ThunderWolf Rider has Storm Shield and a Chain Sword so he can LookOutSir via a 3+ Invul if needed. For the other ThunderWolf Rider I went with a PowerSword/BoltPistol so he can potentially deal 6 AP3 S5 attacks round 1 of an assault.

Thoughts, Comments, Suggestions?
"For Russ! For the Wolf Time!"
Jaygh
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Re: Space Wolf DropPod List - 1750pts

Postby Jaygh » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:22 pm

I like it for the most part. Combi-plasma wolf guard are terrifying, you might consider adding them. The main issue is you have basically 0 anti-air, which i don't have much of an idea how to solve to be completely honest, as I haven't played with non-Chaos marines for a long time. If you're okay with forgeworld, maybe ally in contemptor dreads/hyperios launchers/sabre defense platforms. I'm a big fan of sabres, since they're easy to cheaply convert and are pretty effective. If I were to rebuild your list, it would probably looks something like:

Lord like before
Priests like before
Same wolf guard minus 1 TDA dude, with drop pod
3 pod hunter squads like before
7 wolf guard with combi-plasmas
same thunderwolves
Lord commissar
Platoon Command Squad
2 Infantry Squads
3 Sabre defense platforms with lascannons

Alternately, you could drop the thunderwolves and wolf lord, and get another 3 sabres and maybe a lone wolf or 2, or beef up the infantry squads. The basic plan for this would be pretty much the same, guardsmen chill in the backfield, take objectives late games. Sabres kill/deter flyers, wolf guard, hunters, wolfstar and priests drop down and kill things. Just my 2 cents, i'm basing my advice not off playing wolves, since i haven't really, but what i don't like to see across the table from me, i.e. things that can jump on me early (pods), things that kill flyers like nothing (sabres), and jaws.
zXzGrifterzXz
Warchief
Warchief

Postby zXzGrifterzXz » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:32 pm

I like your suggestions but for some reason it bothers me to use allies, though I need to eventually get over that if GW isn't going to give Space Wolves any anti-air options. also, I love using Lone Wolves in fun games but I find it usually takes them forever to get anywhere unless you let them steal another unit's Rhino since you can't pod them. and in the rhino option I can't assault until at least turn 3 unless someone assaults him first.
Jaygh
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Jaygh » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:21 pm

A decent build for a lone wolf is TDA, Chainfist, Storm Shield. 85 points of bossery that will kill most things over time. If you keep running each turn, he'll be in combat by 3 usually, 4 at the latest, and 2 if you're facing a midfield army.
zXzGrifterzXz
Warchief
Warchief

Postby zXzGrifterzXz » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:48 pm

-HQ-
~ Wolf Lord - 225pts
(Runic Armor, Power Fist, Storm Shield, Wolf Tail Talisman, Thunder Wolf Mount)
~ Rune Priest - 110pts
(Runic Axe, Chooser of the Slain, Powers - Jaws of the World Wolf & Living Lightning)
~ Wolf Priest - 100pts
(STD Equipment)

-ELITES-
~ Wolf Guard x 4 - 292pts
(1 x Combi-Melta , 3 x Tactical Dreadnaught Armor, Arjac Rockfist Upgrade)
~ Wolf Guard x 5 - 150pts
(5 x Combi-Plasma, DropPod)

-TROOPS-
(1 x MeltaGun, DropPod)
(1 x MeltaGun, DropPod)
(1 x MeltaGun, DropPod)
(1 x MeltaGun, DropPod)

-HEAVY-
~ Long Fangs x 6 - 175pts
(5 x Missile Launcher)
(4 x Missile Launcher)

-FAST-
~ ThunderWolf Cavalry x 2 - 145pts
(1 x Storm Shield, 1 x Power Sword)

-1747pts-

Roughly the same as last time but I took Jaygh's advice and I swapped out a Long Fang Squad & of the the Rune Priests for a Squad of Combi-Plasma PA Wolf Guard who are lead by a Wolf Priest for sweet re-rolls on those 1's.
Jaygh
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Jaygh » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:18 pm

I like the revisions a lot. Still a little weak on troops, but I think you're okay versus most people. Funnily enough, this list is a good counter to my two main tournament lists, my Nurgle CSM because Jaws is extremely good vs. low initiative, which my entire army pretty much is, and FMC daemons, because those wolf guard will nuke one of my MCs turn 1, and if you can ground Fatey you have good odds to jaws him to death. I still think guard allies would add a lot, but for now it looks pretty good.