Introduce Yourself

Talk about the hobby, introduce yourself, provide feedback about the site, and anything else that doesn't fit in another category.
Gullstaff
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby Gullstaff » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:38 pm

Vet_Tanker wrote:
Gullstaff wrote:Hi I'm David I'm 28.
games: 40k, magic, wow and league
just moved to mesa, for the schools for my kids and health benefits for my self. just retired out of the army and looking for a new game shop to call home lol. :gunsshoot:

Welcome to the valley, soldier. Check out Empire Games. They're out in Mesa on Greenfield just south of the 60. I make the trek all the way from the far side of town there if that tells you anything. Good people, good tables, good selection of merchandise.

Lol Finaly in tow and .... Idinifided range one two hundred ....
Jolly Joe painting
Warchief
Warchief

Postby Jolly Joe painting » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:56 pm

My name is Joseph
been playing warhammer 40k for 12 years ever since i was a little kid
i'm a commission painter now
my main store is imperial outpost

go check out my blog for more of my stuff

http://warhammerazjollyjoestudios.blogspot.com/
Grambo
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Grambo » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:50 pm

Egads.. where to begin.

Name: Graeme Bayless

Games: (too long to list everything, but I'll try to categorize)
- Actively seeking to play: Star Wars Miniatures (yes, the old discontinued Hasbro game), Blood Bowl, Warhammer 40k (just getting back in after a hiatus of three (yes 3) editions), Battletech (I have played in the semi-regular games at Game Depot, so likely covered there)
- Additional interests: Boardgames (everything from german-style to old school wargames... I'm a former tournament-level Star Fleet Battles and Advanced Squad Leader player), RPGs (would love to find a regular group my wife could join with me... preferred systems are Shadowrun and GURPS, but with the right group the system matters less), CCGs/LCGs (I've mostly sold off my personal collection, so would depend on the group)

How long have you played: Um... I played my first boardgame (France 1940) in 1971. I was 8. I did my first design work on the original Traveller system in the mid 70s, and did my first credited work on Star Fleet Battles (and a few others) in the mid-80s. I've been a video game designer and developer for 26 years. And yes, none of that matters on this question... but I can safely say I've been playing boardgames for 42 years :)

What Game Stores: Imperial Outpost and Game Depot when I can. I live 30-40 minutes from each, sadly.

Residence: North Scottsdale

I work a full time job that consumes my days until 6PM usually, and I like to actually see my wife on occasion... so gaming during the week at game stores is generally impossible. On nights where the store is open late during the week I could potentially adjust to allow a single night/week as a game night. Alternatively, I'd be available one or two weekend days/month for regular games. Mostly, just looking to see what kind of folks and game groups abound here :)
jtgardner
Grunt
Grunt

Postby jtgardner » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:55 am

Hey all! I'm Josh and I work at a shop here in Tucson called Amazing Discoveries! I'm an ex volunteer for Privateer Press, but I still love the game, especially teaching it and running tournaments. See you around the forums!
Landsknecht
Warchief
Warchief

Postby Landsknecht » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:09 am

I'm in Tucson and play Flames of War, but would like to get into other historical games like Hail Caesar, Bolt Action, Field of Glory, etc. Anyone know of people in Tucson with similar interest let me know. Thanks.
Hanzo
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Postby Hanzo » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:38 pm

Hello!

Newbie here, Luke is the name.
Would like to play Fantasy or 40k. Currently have no armies for both, but I did stop by Empire Games earlier this week and bought my first squad of Grey Knights(Just love their lore.) Seems like Fantasy has very little players from what I hear );

Really interested to learn how both 40k and Fantasy play, differences, and why one is more popular than the other.
I plan to head up to Empire sometime this week just to watch and learn, just don't know when games are usually going on.

Anyways, looking forward to gaming soon!
Ak2Az
Warchief
Warchief

Postby Ak2Az » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:05 pm

Welcome!

For me personally the reason why I like 40k over fantasy, is that I think the 40k models look cooler. That and the people who got me into this only played 40k, so I never really ventured into fantasy.

I still have yet to venture over to empire, so maybe I will see you there.
zXzGrifterzXz
Warchief
Warchief

Postby zXzGrifterzXz » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:24 pm

Hanzo wrote:I plan to head up to Empire sometime this week just to watch and learn, just don't know when games are usually going on.

Welcome Aboard! I usually play at Empire (My army is Space Wolves), it is a great store. Jimmy the manager is a great guy who is always willing to lend some solid advice and the other staff, usually Hans or Lauren during the weeknights, are great too. It will be nice to have another Grey Knights player around, the Demon armies have been cleaning up at the EG tournamets lately.

Empire has "40K in 40 Mins" (small points games) every friday. There are a lot of us who play wednesday and thursday night too (depending on schedules). You can almost always find someone playing 40K on the weekends as well.

Hope to see you over there.
"For Russ! For the Wolf Time!"
azironlegion
Grunt
Grunt

Postby azironlegion » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:30 pm

Whats up wargamers! :gunsshoot:
Name: Jason B
Games you play: Warmahordes (and 40k when i get the itch and pick up an army) Ive got a good sized Khador army and just started Legion.
How long have you played Wargames:I started playin 40k back in 2nd edition. Then became one of the first Press Gangers in Tucson for Warmachine when it was released *god that was a long time ago*. Ive played BFG, FSA, Infinity, and Warhammer Fantasy.
What game stores do you frequent: Split between Amazing Discoveries and Hats.
See you on the battlefield! :guns:
NightLordsOldtimer
Warboss
Warboss

Postby NightLordsOldtimer » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:15 am

@Hanzo (Luke):

Welcome aboard! I was at Empire the other night when you came in and picked up your Grey Knights. I'm the old, grey haired & bearded dude who was painting Nurgle models. I also have a sizable GK army, but I'm all about Chaos (again) since 6th Edition came out. But I still like my GKs, so haven't (and won't) sell my army. We'll see what happens to them in 6th.

A suggestion on GKs: Psyflemen Dreadnoughts. That is, Dreads with two tein-linked Autocannons with psybolt ammunition. They're very cost effective, and have a really good chance of taking down a flyer that has flown past them in the rear arc. I always take 3; there's really nothing better in the Heavy Support slot for GKs. I bought 2 Dreadknights when I first started the army back when the codex came out, but have never played them, preferring the Psyflemen Dreads instead. A good way to get the two twin-linked Autocannon is to pick up the Aegis Defense Line kit and use those.

As for Fantasy or 40K, I started in 40K over 10 years ago, when 3.5 Ed came around. Then, when 8th Ed Fantasy came out 3 or 4 years ago, a bunch of us jumped into it and played it for a while, but that fizzled pretty soon. For me, it's too much "Magichammer", and I just don't like the game mechanics as well as 40K. Plus, waaaaay too many models to have to paint to a tabletop standard. It took a huge motivating factor for me to get all my new Nurgle CSMs and Daemons painted up; just too many models in Fantasy to play even a regular sized game. Having said that, there's folks who regularly play Fantasy at Empire; I usually see them on Friday nights and Saturdays, but you never know who's going to be playing what on any given night.

Saturday's are really good to get a pickup game of 40K at Empire. You can also use the "Looking For A Game" forum on this site to try to arrange something on a night you'll know you'll be free. Just post what, when and how many points in advance, and you're likely to get a bite.

Next time you're in Empire and you see me slaving away at my painting, stop by and say Hey.

J.D.
A bad day of gaming beats a good day of work (or school) every time!