Skaven -- 2500 Points. Serious Tournament List for GT entry

Post your army lists for Warhammer Fantasy here.
SkavenInAZ
Hordemaster
Hordemaster

Skaven -- 2500 Points. Serious Tournament List for GT entry

Postby SkavenInAZ » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:41 pm

Hi guys.. a few of us are talking about going to a GT this summer, so I've been thinking about a list. I've taken a lot of input from guys at The UnderEmpire and used some of their influences to build this. Things I'm looking for feedback on are as follows:

1. StormVermin vs. Plague Monks -- I changed the SV to PMs for additional attacks and to give myself another model that would be able to deal with large monsters (Plague Priest).
2. Engineer carrying Lodestone.... Gives me MR3, goes in Grey Seers unit to protect him against any number of spells not named Dwellers. Specifically I expect to see lots of Death mages at a tourney like this, so I think the 1+ ward against Spirit Leech is a good idea.
3. I added in a DoomLock (Warlock with DoomRocket) for some added punch -- but as I expect these tourneys to be comped, I'm not sure it's worth it. I've never used one before, but... a reliable S5 template is hard to ignore.

With that, here's the list. Be brutal -- tell me I'm an idiot if you need to -- but be prepared to back up any concerns.

2500 Pts - Skaven Roster

Grey Seer (1#, 310 pts)
. . 1 Grey Seer, 310 pts (General; Hand Weapon)
. . . . 1 Warpstone Tokens
. . . . 1 Dispel Scroll
. . . . 1 Talisman of Preservation

Chieftain (1#, 122 pts)
. . 1 Chieftain (Battle Standard Bearer), 122 pts (Hand Weapon; Halberd; Battle Standard Bearer)
. . . . 1 Armour of Destiny

Warlock Engineer (1#, 45 pts)
. . 1 Warlock Engineer, 45 pts (Hand Weapon)
. . . . 1 Doomrocket

Warlock Engineer (1#, 60 pts)
. . 1 Warlock Engineer, 60 pts (Hand Weapon)
. . . . 1 Obsidian Lodestone

Plague Priest (1#, 130 pts)
. . 1 Plague Priest, 130 pts (Beserk Rage; Hand Weapon; Frenzy)
. . . . 1 Blade of Nurglitch
. . . . 1 Potion of Strength

Skavenslaves (50#, 102 pts)
. . 50 Skavenslaves, 102 pts (Musician Mus; Hand Weapon)

Clanrats (31#, 220 pts)
. . 29 Clanrats, 220 pts (Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Light Armour; Shield)
. . . . 1 Clawleader (Hand Weapon; Light Armour; Shield)
. . . . 1 Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team (Poisoned Wind Mortar; Hand Weapon; Heavy Armour)

Clanrats (31#, 220 pts)
. . 29 Clanrats, 220 pts (Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Light Armour; Shield)
. . . . 1 Clawleader (Hand Weapon; Light Armour; Shield)
. . . . 1 Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team (Poisoned Wind Mortar; Hand Weapon; Heavy Armour)

Giant Rats (6#, 23 pts)
. . 5 Giant Rats, 23 pts
. . . . 1 Packmaster (Hand Weapon; Whip; Light Armour)

Giant Rats (6#, 23 pts)
. . 5 Giant Rats, 23 pts

Giant Rats (6#, 23 pts)
. . 5 Giant Rats, 23 pts

Gutter Runners (6#, 108 pts)
. . 6 Gutter Runners, 108 pts (Hand Weapon; Extra Hand Weapon; Sling; Throwing Star; Poisoned Attacks; Scouts; Skirmishers)

Gutter Runners (6#, 108 pts)
. . 6 Gutter Runners, 108 pts (Hand Weapon; Extra Hand Weapon; Sling; Throwing Star; Poisoned Attacks; Scouts; Skirmishers)

Plague Monks (47#, 384 pts)
. . 46 Plague Monks, 384 pts (Beserk Rage; Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Extra Hand Weapon; Extra Attack; Frenzy)
. . . . 1 Bringer-of-the-Word (Beserk Rage; Hand Weapon; Extra Hand Weapon; Extra Attack; Frenzy)
. . . . 1 Plague Banner

Warp Lightning Cannon (1#, 90 pts)
. . 1 Warp Lightning Cannon, 90 pts
. . . . 1 Engineer & Crew

Warp Lightning Cannon (1#, 90 pts)
. . 1 Warp Lightning Cannon, 90 pts
. . . . 1 Engineer & Crew

Hell Pit Abomination (1#, 235 pts)
. . 1 Hell Pit Abomination, 235 pts (Causes Terror; Large Target; Regenerate; Stubborn; Thunder Stomp)

Validation Report:
Army Subtype: Skaven Army; Edition: 8th Edition; Game Type: Normal Game
Roster satisfies all enforced validation rules

Composition Report:
Points of Lords: 310 (0 - 625)
Points of Heroes: 357 (0 - 625)
Points of Core: 746 (625 - Unlimited)
Points of Special: 600 (0 - 1250)
Points of Rare: 415 (0 - 625)

Total Roster Cost: 2497

Created with Army Builder® - Try it for free at http://www.wolflair.com
Black Templar
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Re: Skaven -- 2500 Points. Serious Tournament List for GT e

Postby Black Templar » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:40 pm

Interesting list... but do you think that the monks will be more of a punch then the stormvermin?

The plague priest is a nice touch, but if he is there for killing monsters can't your WLC's and the HPA deal with anything that a block of 50 slaves won't?

I don't know, man. Your previous incarnation of this list is hard to deal with. I will give you some test games with this new build and we can talk about it more.
SkavenInAZ
Hordemaster
Hordemaster

Postby SkavenInAZ » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:02 am

The monks vs. SV question is a big question. A lot of people don't like them at all -- and those that do have a preference to one or the other. Heavy Armor vs. T4 is about a wash. So it really comes down to killing capabilities.

StormVermin -- WS4, I5, S4 -- these are their advantages. Disadvantage -- number of attacks. With only 1 attack per model, the enemy is usually going to kill as many of them as they kill. Because of this, you have to augment with SkavenBrew or the spell Death Frenzy (which is from Ruin, the less-preferred spell lore).

Plague Monks -- xHW and Frenzy -- Monks don't have this issue.. they get 3 attacks base. But they're only WS3 and I3. But, by not having to pay for someone to give them frenzy, it lets me put a quasi-combat character in with them to help them wreck face. I chose the loadout on the Priest I did in order to give the monks help in killing large targets -- but it also works on characters. The other advantage the monks have is the Plague Banner -- 1 use item that allows monks to reroll hits and wounds in one phase of combat -- which can really kill a lot of almost anything.
SkavenInAZ
Hordemaster
Hordemaster

Postby SkavenInAZ » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:07 pm

Did a Battle Report for the Plague Monk version of this list over at The UnderEmpire. I'll post it here also.