Gathering in the Desert 2017 Theme

Flames of War, Warhammer Ancient Battles, Legends of the Old West, and other historical wargames.

What should the theme be for next years Gathering in the Desert?

Poll ended at Mon May 23, 2016 10:41 am

Pacific Campaign
8%
Eastern Front Campaign
17%
Normandy Campaign
42%
Italy Campaign
No votes
1500 point Desert Tank War campaign
33%

Total votes: 12
TJSKI

Gathering in the Desert 2017 Theme

Postby TJSKI » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:41 am

Take a few minutes to cast your vote for next years Gathering in the Desert Bolt Action themed campaign.

Tjski
DrunkenSamurai

Re: Gathering in the Desert 2017 Theme

Postby DrunkenSamurai » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:10 am

I see you have ignored my desert Tank War idea. It has several advantages. First of all everyone who played this year has a head start of building their force. Second, all you terrain is usable so setup and planning should be easier. Now that people have seen that the limits to the Americans are not insurmountable it may be easier to get more players. If you go to 1500 points infantry armies will be large enough to manage the increase in tanks.
wilkinson73
Warboss
Warboss

Postby wilkinson73 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:01 pm

I'd love to do Pacific. I'll actually invest and play BA.
TJSKI

Postby TJSKI » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:49 pm

DrunkenSamurai wrote:I see you have ignored my desert Tank War idea. It has several advantages. First of all everyone who played this year has a head start of building their force. Second, all you terrain is usable so setup and planning should be easier. Now that people have seen that the limits to the Americans are not insurmountable it may be easier to get more players. If you go to 1500 points infantry armies will be large enough to manage the increase in tanks.

No did not ignore it, as you know I would love to do more North Africa, but these were suggestions I heard from other folks. Now if I can figure out how to change the poll I will add it.

Okay I added it, but it wiped out the other poll results.

TJski
Ponatowski
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Ponatowski » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:29 pm

I really enjoyed the campaign aspect of this year's event and look forward to next year.

As for what the theme for next year should be, that's a tough one for me. My Italian paras are my only playable army, so I would have to start from scratch no matter what. I like the Tank War idea...though I haven't played that version of the game, lots of people like tanks. I also like the Pacific idea, especially if there is an amphibious raid/landing scenario. And then there is the Eastern Front which is also popular.

Are you going to determine the theatre of war first (Pacific, desert, Eastern Front, Italy) and then decide on a specific campaign? I ask because these all cover a very wide timeframe....
TJSKI

Postby TJSKI » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:27 pm

Ponatowski wrote:I really enjoyed the campaign aspect of this year's event and look forward to next year.

As for what the theme for next year should be, that's a tough one for me. My Italian paras are my only playable army, so I would have to start from scratch no matter what. I like the Tank War idea...though I haven't played that version of the game, lots of people like tanks. I also like the Pacific idea, especially if there is an amphibious raid/landing scenario. And then there is the Eastern Front which is also popular.

Are you going to determine the theatre of war first (Pacific, desert, Eastern Front, Italy) and then decide on a specific campaign? I ask because these all cover a very wide timeframe....

Tom,

Yes, we will determine the theme first and then the specific campaign. Here are my thoughts on each:

Pacific - I love the idea, but from a terrain perspective, I would need to build a ton of tables for this, so it would be like starting from scratch.

Italy - Is doable but would need lots of buildings with Spanish tile roofs, but pretty easy to make terrain for.

Desert Tank - Terrain is already built, would just be using this years terrain, so not to difficult there. I just feel we should do something different.

Normandy - Bocages would need to be built as well as some beach landing boards. But I think this has the greatest appeal for folks since it is a pretty generic setting. Oh the ideas I have for US para drops, this could be fun. Plus the terrain except for the ones mentioned, is covered.

Tim
Ponatowski
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Ponatowski » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:23 pm

Terrain for the Eastern front should be easy to cover too unless you decide on something like Stalingrad in which case you will need a lot more ruins! That would be interesting...you could have sewer movement rules!
wilkinson73
Warboss
Warboss

Postby wilkinson73 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:11 pm

My vote is for desert tank war. I changed. I think the Pacific, while awesome would be a huge under taking. I'd like to something in North Africa. I know you guys did that already. Normandy gets my second vote.