lion Rampant rules Osprey

Flames of War, Warhammer Ancient Battles, Legends of the Old West, and other historical wargames.
wilkinson73
Warboss
Warboss

lion Rampant rules Osprey

Postby wilkinson73 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:13 pm

Anyone ever heard of Lion Rampant? Osprey publishing. Midevil skirmish gaming. I have the book the rules seem clean. I csn shimmy in some romans and some Celts maybe. I was just wondering if anyone here has tried it out. Looks to be a good bridge between skirmish and large scale games.
Ponatowski
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Re: lion Rampant rules Osprey

Postby Ponatowski » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:05 am

I bought them, read them and have since sold them. SAGA is much better IMO.

Tom O
wilkinson73
Warboss
Warboss

Postby wilkinson73 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:12 am

I think they are way different but ok.
Ponatowski
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Ponatowski » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:44 am

Yes, they are completely different. Just my opinion that SAGA is better, maybe I should have said "better for the type of game I want to play". There are some parts to Lion Rampant that after reading I knew I wouldn't like in a game, so I got rid of it; if you like it and want to use it for games, go ahead and have fun.

Tom
wilkinson73
Warboss
Warboss

Postby wilkinson73 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:51 pm

Oh dont get me wrong I like SAGA way better. Just looking for a rules set I can use with the spare romans and celts i have. I dont want to make huge armies out of them. No time to paint. I think a SAGA Roman board would be cool.
Landsknecht
Warchief
Warchief

Postby Landsknecht » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:08 am

I have only read through the rules of Saga and Lions Rampant. I like what both of them bring to the table. Saga is definitely my Dark Ages go to game. Eventually I will get around to painting my Wallachians to face the Ottoman Turks that I have painted years ego and intend on using Lion Rampant rules. I look forward to Pikeman's Lament (Lion Rampant for shot and pike time period) next year so I can knock the dust off of my Late Italian Renaissance armies and get them to the table. Depending on what Pikeman's Lament is like, I may even use it for my Samurai stuff.