Thinking about bolt action.....

Flames of War, Warhammer Ancient Battles, Legends of the Old West, and other historical wargames.
wilkinson73
Warboss
Warboss

Thinking about bolt action.....

Postby wilkinson73 » Mon May 04, 2015 6:08 pm

So I am thinking about bolt action. Had a demo about a year ago and it was fun. I cant start a new project until after school (June31) until then I can save. But I have a few questions.

What kind of player base is in the valley?

What army should I collect? Im thinking either Italians or US. Im leaning towards US Marines, but i am flexible if a local club could use a different faction.

Do people usually play historical match ups or free for all? IE if I played US Marines would somebody with ETO Germans play me?

What points levels do people play pick up games and tournies?

Does Warlord games have prize support for their tournaments?

Thank you.
Ponatowski
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Re: Thinking about bolt action.....

Postby Ponatowski » Mon May 04, 2015 9:24 pm

There are probably 6 or so BA players on the west side of town that I know of, though it's been a while since some have played.

I have Italian Paras painted up, unpainted Poles, and plans for a Japanese army down the road.

I've played historical and ahistorical match-ups...it's a game afterall. The big thing IMO is trying to keep "in period" so the late war tanks, assault rifles, etc. don't just destroy early war forces.

As for games, 500 points is about the minimum for me.

Tom O
TJSKI

Postby TJSKI » Tue May 05, 2015 8:25 am

wilkinson73 wrote:So I am thinking about bolt action. Had a demo about a year ago and it was fun. I cant start a new project until after school (June31) until then I can save. But I have a few questions.

What kind of player base is in the valley?

What army should I collect? Im thinking either Italians or US. Im leaning towards US Marines, but i am flexible if a local club could use a different faction.

Do people usually play historical match ups or free for all? IE if I played US Marines would somebody with ETO Germans play me?

What points levels do people play pick up games and tournies?

Does Warlord games have prize support for their tournaments?

Thank you.

Hmm,

Well as Tom mentioned there are at least 6 West side players, me being one of them. I know there is another Bolt Action group that does not use these forums too often and prefer to use Facebook to communicate, so there are a few more.

Well as for armies, I have ETO Germans, DAK Germans, US Infantry, US Paras and a Tank Army for Germans but that's really for Adepticon. I would say, collect what your interested in, that should always be the first thing you should do.

I prefer historical match ups, I do not like the Blue on Blue sort of games, it just doesn't feel right to me. I would have no issues playing other opposite armies though as long is it is Axis vs Allies.

Standard point games are 1000 points, some tourneys go with more or less. But no one here in the valley is running tournaments. I ran GitD last year for Bolt Action and except for the lack luster support from Warlord, it was a great event. I played in one FUBAR tournament that one of the local Warlord employees ran, and it was a mess, never do that again.

As for Warlord supporting events, well as I said above, they (Warlord) dropped the ball for GitD last year. And this year at Adepticon Warlord screwed the Bolt Action organizers again in forgetting to provide anything. At the last minute the Warlord employee ran to the business center in the hotel and quickly made up prize certs for the event. Kicker was they offered up $50.00 certs that had to be from online orders only and shipping was not included in the amount. Sadly they dropped the ball and that was the last thing that was taken.

So there you go, hope that helps...

Tim K
DrunkenSamurai

Postby DrunkenSamurai » Tue May 05, 2015 11:03 am

I count myself as a BA player. It has been many months since I last played it but I do like the game (I would really like to love the game but that has not happened yet). I have piles of stuff for this game. I can play these armies to 1000+ points, US Infantry, German Infantry, Fallschirmjagers, Brit Coammandos, Brit Para, Brit 8th army, Soviet Infantry and 1940 French. I have lots of vehicles for each of these armies as well. My 'current' project is British 8th Army for North Africa. I have plans for some Pacific War stuff. I would love to do a Chinese Nationalist army circa 1937-39.

I prefer historical match-ups for my games but it is not really a requirement. I would like to see events done as themed, period specific events. That would help keep the assault rifle spam to a minimum.

Robert
Bruno
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Bruno » Tue May 05, 2015 7:41 pm

I had high hopes for this game in the community but it just never really took off. I would get back into the game but like others had said, historical match ups are very important. It would be nice to see it get some traction again.
DrunkenSamurai

Postby DrunkenSamurai » Tue May 05, 2015 8:23 pm

I think I like this game best when it is not part of an 'event.' I know they wrote it as their tournament game but I am just not into the competitive gaming thing. I really enjoy it as a friendly game with somewhat historical match-ups. It is a great beer and pretzel game.