Bolt Action Event

Flames of War, Warhammer Ancient Battles, Legends of the Old West, and other historical wargames.
TJSKI

Bolt Action Event

Postby TJSKI » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:52 am

Okay,

So I posted in the tournament section my thoughts on a couple of events, but here is where I need to know if anyone is interested and willing to commit to a small one day event. So here are the choices:

Choice One - A Doubles event for Bolt Action, Team Doubles Format: (2) players per team
•Army Points: 1600 total, 800 per team member
•Order Dice: 16 total, 8 max per team member
•Platoon: Single platoon per team member, each player must include an officer. (2 platoons total/army)
•Tank Wars armored platoons are limited to (1) per team. No skills, experience, or crew upgrades
•No vehicle flame throwers are allowed
•No War Reporter units are allowed
•Your Platoon Leader must have the same experience level as a majority of your units. That is, if you have 5/8 units that are rated regular, your officer MUST BE rated regular or veteran and not inexperienced.

Choice Two - Standard three round
1000 points
10 Dice Max

Choice Three - Campaign Day
Theater Selector only armies
1000 point Max
10 Dice Max

So lets here it, I need to know if there is any interest in doing any sort of organized event. If there is no interest than I will not move forward with trying to organize anything. So lets here what your interested in because I know there are Bolt Action players out there besides the usual parties.

Tim K
DrunkenSamurai

Re: Bolt Action Event

Postby DrunkenSamurai » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:32 pm

I don't think there is enough players to make a team event really work right so I would vote against it. As for the standard open format event I would not participate in that as the prospect of facing min-maxed assault rifle Germans is not my idea of a good time. That leaves the themed campaign day. I would like to see 1941 North Africa or Eastern Front.
TJSKI

Postby TJSKI » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:55 pm

Rob,

Out of all three I would like to do a themed campaign day myself. I was thinking North Africa along the lines of Operation Torch, but the Eastern Front has a certain feel to it that sounds interesting as well.

Hmm I will call you tonight to talk about both.

Tim
Ponatowski
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Ponatowski » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:18 pm

I'd be up for a themed event, but the issue with those always is do the players with armies have one for the front/time period chosen.

"Open" tourneys for BA are ugly IMO...encourages all of the late war goodies that early war simply can't compete against.

Tom
Yumaz
Warchief
Warchief

Postby Yumaz » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:00 pm

Several good points have been made. i'll just throw out i've played several BA team games and most have been a lot of fun. A game here or there is different than a whole event obviously.
TJSKI

Postby TJSKI » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:18 pm

Guys,

I think for a themed event I would restrict theater selectors and to a period. So if you wanted to participate your army would need to be taken from those lists. I think I would even further restrict certain units from being able to field equipment that was not in use, assault rifles in early war for example.

The whole point is that we need to get this game back on the table.

Tim
Dean
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Postby Dean » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:38 pm

Tim, Dragi and I would be all for an Eastern Front campaign day.

Dean
TJSKI

Postby TJSKI » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:01 am

Hey here is another idea, not a tournament just a cool project, would anyone be interested in doing a historical tank game like Battle of Brody, 23 – 30 June 1941 or Second Battle of El Alamein, 23 October – 11 November 1942?

Once again this wouldn't be a tournament, just a bunch of us getting together to do a large game. The Battle of Brody, which has been called “the largest tank battle of World War II until the Battle of Kursk two years later,” saw 800 Axis tanks line up against 2,500 of their Russian opposite numbers. The German victory was partly due to their air force, the Luftwaffe, flying over the Polish war fields, destroying up to 201 Soviet tanks. However, the tank battle was incredibly fierce, with the German forces finding that the new Soviet T-34 tanks were virtually impervious to their firepower. It was mainly due to the Red Army’s supply chain drying up that the Germans were allowed to continue their offensive and press home their advantage.

The Second Battle of El Alamein, 23 October – 11 November 1942
With over 1,000 Allied tanks lining up against their 547 Axis counterparts, World War Two’s Second Battle of El Alamein saw the Germans effectively lose their battle for possession of Egypt and the much-prized Suez Canal. After the First Battle of El Alamein had halted the Axis advance into Egypt, the second battle effectively turned the course of the North African Campaign in the Allied forces’ favor. Tanks played a huge part in the battle, with the Allied forces receiving Sherman Tanks courtesy of the Americans. This bolstered their forces and made it possible for them to continue with the conflict longer than the Germans, whose own forces were more concentrated on the Eastern Front.

Would anyone be interested in something like this? I have an itch to play in a big tank game and it would be pretty cool to do something like this.

Tim
Dean
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Postby Dean » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:29 pm

TJSKI wrote:Hey here is another idea, not a tournament just a cool project, would anyone be interested in doing a historical tank game like Battle of Brody, 23 – 30 June 1941 or Second Battle of El Alamein, 23 October – 11 November 1942?

Personally, I would not be interested. As much as I love playing with tanks, I think most of us (maybe not you and Rob, LOL) probably only have 1, maybe 2 tanks for our armies in 28mm scale. Unless you played with FoW tanks, and then might as well play FoW.

I have played Tank Wars once and it was fun, but we played with FoW tanks.

Dean
DrunkenSamurai

Postby DrunkenSamurai » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:23 pm

If I were to do a tank game it would not be in 28mm. I am done with buying large numbers of $30-$40 models. I would be interested in 15mm as it is cheaper and looks just as cool on a big table.