Important Public Service Announcement - PP Plastics

Anything to do with Warmachine and Hordes or any other Privateer Press game.
GamingSaloonBill
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Important Public Service Announcement - PP Plastics

Postby GamingSaloonBill » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:40 pm

This is an important Public Service Announcement regarding Privateer Press's plastic models, and their interaction with Arizona weather.

Do not, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT,, DO NOT leave any Privateer Press plastic models in your car if the temperature is over 70 degrees. I bought the new Cataphract Cetrati models last week, and in the time it took me to drive to work yesterday my spears had all warped into circles. That drive was less than 3 miles...

A customer of mine left his Konquest in his car overnight a week or so ago. The heavy arms literally ripped gaping holes on either side of the Konquest's torso (which is hollow).

I think we all know and realize how pathetically horrible PP's plastic is as a medium for quality models, but I don't think anyone realized it was this bad. Be careful with your models...
Bill at The Gaming Saloon
bill@battlefoam.com

The Gaming Saloon
240 N. Sunway Dr #101
Gilbert, AZ 85233
480-747-0230 ext 5000
Dantes
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Re: Important Public Service Announcement - PP Plastics

Postby Dantes » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:47 pm

You know that Konquest isn't made of plastic right? The Catraphact I could understand but you are just trolling when talking about Konquest.
I'm a confessed cynic so figure that into account when reading my posts.
Deathgod
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Postby Deathgod » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:54 pm

Actually, the Konquest is resin, a petroleum product like plastic, and while PP plastic is technically plastic it has more in common from a usability standpoint with resin than "traditional" plastic such as used by GW, Mantic, or standard model kits.
Dantes
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Dantes » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:38 am

True but the chemical process for making resin and their injection molding plastic is very different. Resin chemically cures and bonds and is not subject to the heat tolerance problems that plastics are. The plastic PP uses is a cooling cure form plastic, and does in fact have heat problem, just like every other plastic. You live in Arizona you should know better then to leave your models in your car. Whether it's PP or GW or anyone else you should never leave plastic models in your car. Trying to call PP out on this is just trolling, its a universal plastics problem.
I'm a confessed cynic so figure that into account when reading my posts.
GamingSaloonBill
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby GamingSaloonBill » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:15 pm

Dantes wrote:True but the chemical process for making resin and their injection molding plastic is very different. Resin chemically cures and bonds and is not subject to the heat tolerance problems that plastics are. The plastic PP uses is a cooling cure form plastic, and does in fact have heat problem, just like every other plastic. You live in Arizona you should know better then to leave your models in your car. Whether it's PP or GW or anyone else you should never leave plastic models in your car. Trying to call PP out on this is just trolling, its a universal plastics problem.

Wow, really? I haven't taken my Orks out of my car for over a year, and they're in perfect condition. There is absolutely NO EXCUSE for a model to warp in 10 minutes in low 80s temperatures. None. And if you don't believe me about the Konquest, well then its your cynnical loss. The poor guy who's Konquest tore itself in pieces certainly believes it.

[edited to remove inappropriate comments]
Bill at The Gaming Saloon
bill@battlefoam.com

The Gaming Saloon
240 N. Sunway Dr #101
Gilbert, AZ 85233
480-747-0230 ext 5000