War Room opinions ?

Anything to do with Warmachine and Hordes or any other Privateer Press game.
Eradanphx
Warchief
Warchief

Re: War Room opinions ?

Postby Eradanphx » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:42 pm

The app works flawlessly on my phone, it's just a disappointment. Privateer Press is so visual, things are so polished in game; this just lacks that touch completely. It's clunky and not-intuitive.

I like the rules, but they aren't intuitive to search, look up. The integration w/ the cards is clunky ! .. no underlining / highlighting sectional clicking etc ... NO zooming on the text !?
NAUgamer
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Postby NAUgamer » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:51 pm

War Room works like a charm on my iPad; I really enjoy having a complete card library with me with rules reference for random stuff I want to look up. Damage tracking is pleasantly easy and well done.

However it doesn't work at all on my Droid, constant crashes. iBodger did a better job at being a pure list-building-machine, but I feel like in the end WR will surpass it simply with all the other things it can do... once the kinks are worked out.

I like it, and I'm cautiously optimistic about the potential uses. Right now, though, it is a bit lacking in polish.
NAUgamer/Andrew
Warmahordes: Khador, Legion
40k: Grey Knights
JBFlanz
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby JBFlanz » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:26 am

It is useful...just depends on if it is worth $60 to you. In tournies if it crashes in game it will be a time penalty and if your device dies or loses your data the game will be ruined. It just seems like there is lots of upkeep. Excited to try it on fun games, although you must have wifi to do it...bothersome. It is fun to flip through cards, but books contain so much art, fluff, and other things that I would never skip on a book for this. All in all, I think it is worth the $7 for you deck and then just carry around your mercs...or vice versa. I have an HTC Thunderbolt and it works perfectly. I will probably hassle anyone who uses it at gencon in a tourney. We will see... ;)
WM/H: Khador, Trollbloods, Minions, and Mercs
Fantasy: Orcs & Goblins
40k: Orks
Malifaux:Outcasts minus the gremlins

The Prince of Excess
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby The Prince of Excess » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:17 pm

Apparently an update to fix the problems with 3G/4G is coming today so that's one worry down. I've also seen Apple users say they can let their phone sleep without losing data midgame, although Android users do.
BrandonPHX
Warboss
Warboss

War Room opinions ?

Postby BrandonPHX » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:34 pm

They said the update would be finished today, but it will still have to go through Google/Apple validation. Might be a few days until it is up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phoenix Area Wargames Society
Warmachine/Hordes - Skorne, Mercenaries
Warhammer - High-Elves, Lizardmen
40k - Space Marines
The Prince of Excess
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby The Prince of Excess » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:11 pm

One of the guys said the Google one gets pushed through automatically while the Apple one has to be reviewed.
Mundar
Warchief
Warchief

Postby Mundar » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:35 pm

Its pretty obvious it was designed for ipads and anything else was an after thought.. You can tell where their focus and attention went.

Its a clunky piece of crap. Its an okay-ish reference tool and nothing more. I can look up stats/rules while I'm sitting around somewhere.. Other than that, the app is a total pile of garbage. Don't forget you need wifi to do pretty much anything on it. Good luck connecting at a con, or game stores that don't have wifi available.

Why this thing doesnt use 3g or 4g boggles me. Why I have to hit a back key on the screen 5 times to make it cycle back once is annoying. I'd like to just be able to use the back button built into my phone. Hell, why do I have to hit anything on my screen several times before it responds?

Tinkerhouse sucks. PP dropped the ball on this app.. It was a cool idea, but horrible execution.

Another thing, how much clock pausing will there be in tournaments while guys pull up their units to track damage on that? It'll take forever. What about when they have to look up a stat during my turn? Anything you can do with this app, you can do way faster with actual cards.. It really just seems like an excuse for people to play with a different toy while they're playing with toys.

Also the list builder is crap. It assumes you know the correct rules and goes from there.. How many illegal lists will start popping up due to someone not realizing what is allowed and what isn't?
Kasil
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Kasil » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:32 am

despite my frustration with the app (My phone is on the doesnt work with this app list), I will still buy all the decks when I can so that I have all the cards for reference purposes. I will NEVER use war room for a game though.
Warmachine - Cryx, Khador
shinokaze
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Postby shinokaze » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:57 pm

I tried it on Ipad in a friendly game this week works fine IMO ate up about 12% battery in the course of an hour I would not recommend for a tourny but more due to the limitations of batteries sure you can buy a battery bag and if you did you would be fine then your carrying just as much crud if you had a folder and a dry erase. The app itself seems fairly well put together and as a Retribution player it was nice we don't have a faction deck its nice. A bit peeved they dont give you the mercs/minions that work for your faction had I known I would have considered a bundle.
Ninja Goblin
Warboss
Warboss

Postby Ninja Goblin » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:43 am

I had a chance to play with several people in friendly games using the app. It takes substantially longer for them to mark damages boxes and pull up new units or rules etc. Every time the device has to load, I would say this is a serious problem in a game that is so closely linked to time in event play. Pausing the clock etc get really really annoying and leads to all sorts of arguments.
Yes, I'm a ninja. No, I won't show you my moves.
I do not sleep, I wait.... It's a ninja thing, you wouldn't understand.