Cygnar Army Ideas.

Anything to do with Warmachine and Hordes or any other Privateer Press game.
Cyberpickle223
Grunt
Grunt

Cygnar Army Ideas.

Postby Cyberpickle223 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:29 pm

I decided to post this before I head to Empire for Warmachine to see if I can get some Duel Pronged advice.
all of the figures i have so far:
Everything that comes in the Cygnar battle box (cant tell which stryker I have)
Sentinel Light Warjack
Squire
Stormclad Heavy Warjack.

What I'm wanting to do is build around the Stormclad without spending a ton of money.
what I'm thinking is getting some Stormblades and Nemo (the general Nemo) but I don't know what else I would use.
I know that the squire is going in and my personal favorite the Ironclad and Charger. Any advice would be appreciated and if you are a person who plays at empire and is going on Monday stop me and tell me what you think i should do. Names RJ and thanks in advance.
Eradanphx
Warchief
Warchief

Re: Cygnar Army Ideas.

Postby Eradanphx » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:09 am

Welcome to the fold first of all. There is quite a good crowd at empire and quite a few new players for you to learn the game with.

I don't have much experience playing Cygnar so my advice isn't worth much but with that preface I guess i'll give it?

I think the first thing you want to look at when building any army is the play style / type you want to play. If you want a gunline, melee, well balanced, fun, competitive, etc ... Cygnar has the ability to play quite a few different styles but does very well with the ranged component from my experience.

All Battleboxes come with Prime or version 1 casters (pStryker or Stryker1 mean the same thing).

The Stormclad is GREAT, but get's even better under either of the Haley's (pHaley or eHaley) because of her bond to the stormclad. The stormblades are also great with the stormclad as you indicated. The Ironclad is very solid at 7 points. Some other staple units that i see run on the other side of the table are:

Stormsmith Stormcallers.
Journeyman Warcaster (Free Arcane Shield?)
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (Snipe + Ignore Stealth etc ...)
Quite a few great heavies (Defender cannon is amazing, Thunderhead does some amazing things against infantry).

Hope this helps a bit? I would say ask more direct / detailed questions to get more appropriate answers. First question to answer is what is your goal in playing the game? To be competitive? To play a themed list? To play a particular playstyle? to play a particular type of model? etc ...
GamingSaloonBill
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby GamingSaloonBill » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:16 pm

In response to your thread, I'll comment on some Cygnar synergies:

Stormclad works well with:
- eHaley: a potential 16" threat range with the Stormclad under eHaley, with 4 focus to boot!
- Stormblades: almost a must-have. a DEFINITE must-have if you run more than 1 Stormclad, like I do in my Haley list.
- Journeyman Warcaster: Arcane Shield is always a good thing.
- Lanyssa Ryssal, or however you spell her name: Hunter's mark for +2" charge movement and free charges. It's sexy.

Nemo2 works well with:
- Stormcallers: His elite cadre. +1 skill checks and +2 damage is sexy. Stormcallers REALLY want a Firefly or two with Nemo2 for easy triangulations.
- LOTS of heavies: His feat turn is DEVASTATING if you have the right warjacks in place at the moment you feat. Ironclads are fantastic and cheap, Centurions hit like a truck and are hard to kill, Stormclads are never bad, and Thunderhead is fantastic under Nemo2.

You could easily meld those together. That being said, pNemo (if you're running 1 Stormclad only) and eHaley are better choices than Nemo2, generally speaking...

Feel free to come down to the Gaming Saloon when you have some time and we can talk in more detail, and you're more than welcome to borrow some models to run a practice game with some Stormclads to give them a test drive.
Bill at The Gaming Saloon
bill@battlefoam.com

The Gaming Saloon
240 N. Sunway Dr #101
Gilbert, AZ 85233
480-747-0230 ext 5000
thebert
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Postby thebert » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:21 am

There is no caster the Stormclad doesn't work well with. It is probably our best jack.

It requires focus to do damage tho, so not all lists will use it... if you have a caster you want to be casting a lot of spells with the Centurion is a great jack... doesn't hit hard but @ Armor 24 (with Arcane shield) it is really hard to kill because it can't be charged due to polarity shield this makes it really good at taking or contesting objectives.

That said if you have the battlebox dont overlook the usefulness of the Ironclad, earthquake is really, really good.

Things you want to pick up for sure:

Journeyman warcaster - 3 points for Arcane shield, I can not stress how amazing this guy is, even if you don't give him a jack.
Arcane Tempest Gunmages + unit attachment. Arcane Gunmages are a great unit that unlike most of our infantry doesn't require a lot of support. But True Sight, counters stealth and there is a lot of nasty stealth solos/units in the game. The UA is so good, you just have to consider AGTM an 8 point unit.
Eradanphx
Warchief
Warchief

Postby Eradanphx » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:24 am

Being a Cryx player, I can't tell you how much I HATE the ATGM. They can rot in Hell.
Kasil
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby Kasil » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:40 am

such harsh words, I don't play ATGM very much... maybe I need to look into that. Then again, I am already "that guy" that brings stormwall, so maybe I will leave the ATGM be.
Warmachine - Cryx, Khador
GOD
Warboss
Warboss

Cygnar Army Ideas.

Postby GOD » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:16 am

ATGM are the number one reason I love cygnar well Caine is the number one reason but he is technically a gun mage
GT Record
Tides of War 2009 "Best Composition"
Best in the West 2010 "Best Overall"
SoCal Slaughter 2009 "2nd Best General"
Tides of War 2010 "Best General"

G=Greater
O=omnipotent
D=Deity
Cyberpickle223
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Cyberpickle223 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:55 pm

Personally the Ironclad is my favorite jack and I use him to beat face and grind infantry. I am working on getting some stormblades and some gun mages. The only thing I wonder is if I use stryker's arcane shield on the stormblades do they all get it or only one out of the unit. Further more if I get the Jr warcaster can he use his arcane shield also or does the same spell rule apply?
thebert
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Postby thebert » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:10 am

Spell hits the unit.