50 pts vs 35 pts.

Anything to do with Warmachine and Hordes or any other Privateer Press game.
Eradanphx
Warchief
Warchief

50 pts vs 35 pts.

Postby Eradanphx » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:41 am

So after the event yesterday and the discussion after the event, it really seems like for timed turns 50 pts is the sweet spot.

Do you practice 50 pt games, or 35pt games primarily? I noticed that my 35 pt and 50 pt lists aren't terribly different, they are almost the same core models.
Dantes
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Re: 50 pts vs 35 pts.

Postby Dantes » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:35 pm

50 points IMO is much more balanced then 35. In 35 there are just some caster that cannot even get their basic items into the list to get them to work well. Also since Hordes is very reliant on beasts it actually allows the to field some more of the situational models into lists instead of the barebones only exactly what you in in 35. 35 points is best for warmachine as they do well with low model count and spammable infantry.

I think most people should get used to playing 50 though. It is quickly going to become the standard as the colossals/gargantuans are released.
I'm a confessed cynic so figure that into account when reading my posts.
RangerRob
Site Admin
Site Admin

50 pts vs 35 pts.

Postby RangerRob » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:04 pm

Yes, I've noticed that push/trend as well. I may get used to it by selling off my armies. Just not what I want to play.
The Prince of Excess
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby The Prince of Excess » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:17 pm

Yeah I have no desire to play 50 points either. I don't really plan to play in many Tournies so I guess it doesn't hurt me though. :]

Seems odd to bump up to 50 so people can more easily fit in a Colossal.
SlaaneshiCultist
Warboss
Warboss

Postby SlaaneshiCultist » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:53 pm

The real issue is that 50 is not the push, the push is going to be 75 within the next couple years. 50 is going to become the new 35, but with collasals/gargantuans and the new WM casters, infantry spam might be taking a back seat to combined arms which will actually decrease some of the stresses for some but increase them for others. I have seen what 3-mo does to infantry heavy lists, and it is hilarious. vlad3, kreoss3, ossrum, collasals...they all look to be infantry murderers which is good. I am thrilled to see what will happen with the game, having seen the collasals and what they do to the game. Take infantry heavy lists at your own peril, they might not be the most viable without the right list build in the near future. I can't wait to get my hands on the judicator for my severius1 list and watch as infantry just dies the horrible deaths they deserve (:
Blowing peeps up since 1992
WM/H- Harby/ToM/Amon (Menoth)
FOW- Irish Guard
Malifaux- Outcasts/Guild
http://wargameraz.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6 If you have not done so....for the love of jebus go here and let us know who the hell you are!
Eradanphx
Warchief
Warchief

Postby Eradanphx » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:49 pm

I think it's interesting to see. I enjoy games from 15 - 50, and have enjoyed them all in between. I don't see why the games getting larger is a hamper to the play of the game? It's just a change, which i think people tend to resist. The only downside in casual is the time of the game get's longer. So in casual non-timed, i see that as a disadvantage (Although if the Colossals catch on then it may not be more models).

I can't wait to get a second Kraken, and field 2 at 75 points !

I actually think the game is much better at larger points, the game is much less 'janky', a single mistake doesn't seem to swing the game so significantly (or a string of good / bad dice for that matter!), feats don't tend to be quite as destructive as most are control area only which isn't quite as easy at larger points. But i have to admit i don't have many 50 point games under my belt so i'm not speaking from any kind of authority.
SalsaShark
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Postby SalsaShark » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:37 pm

There is no reason to sell off your models. As long as there is an influx of new players (which is a good thing) stores will most likely continue to run 35pt tournaments. I have spoken to several new players that do find 50pt games intimidating.

50pt games are my favorite as well. However, I don't think there will be an overall increase in the size of tournaments. I do like the idea of including giant based models in 50pt games as it seem to bring the cost/value ratio into the sharpest focus. If you are someone who is interested in playing large venue cons, then you'd best start practicing 50pt games.

If one isn't inclined to play in tournaments then continue on as normal. You will always be able to play a 35pt game. :thumbsup: