I'm not allowed to use terrain...

Anything to do with Warmachine and Hordes or any other Privateer Press game.
NAUgamer
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

I'm not allowed to use terrain...

Postby NAUgamer » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:33 pm

My local warmahordes group has decided that I'm officially not allowed to ever play in a game with any terrain other than hills ever again. So there may have been eVayl bouncing refuge between a couple Angelius as they fly over a ruin, armor-piercing strike then fly back to safety... and a river that 99% of my army didn't get slowed down by (but that knocking down a 'jack in was fun), and a forest that I could see/move through with impunity.. but Legion is balanced around not needing to worry about terrain... right? ;)

Go Legion!!

Ok, Ok, serious question: since I'm now doomed to only ever playing on flat open fields and rolling hills, do you think THAT'S fair for an army that pays at least something for pathfinder, eyeless sight, flight, etc?

Gimmie your thoughts!
-Andrew of the Open Fields
NAUgamer/Andrew
Warmahordes: Khador, Legion
40k: Grey Knights
an00bis
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Re: I'm not allowed to use terrain...

Postby an00bis » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:32 am

I think you should still play with terrain. I think it would be best if you have someone other than the people playing set up the table that way no one uses terrain in their favor. Also people that play against you should expect that from your army.
Hordes - Gators, Pigs, Circle and Trollbloods
Warmachine - Cygnar
40k-Grey Knights
"A friend is one who has the same enemies as you have" Abraham Lincoln
RangerRob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby RangerRob » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:44 am

Yeah, if your army has abilities that can take advantage of or ignore terrain, its not exactly fair to never have any on the table either. As mentioned, having someone else setup the table is a great idea. Glad to see those rivers are already getting you wins. :)
NAUgamer
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Postby NAUgamer » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:23 pm

Hah, there's not usually an impartial observer in our games since everyone's playing in some capacity (lots of team games).

Well, the terrain is always agreed upon before the match, and we are all fine with moving/changing stuff around beforehand. I set up something symetrical the other day with a river across the middle (which I'm pretty sure were made out of plastic and BADASS AWESOMENESS, thanks Rob!), a bridge in the middle, ruins northeast and southwest, foresty-hill northwest and southeast. Nothing too cluttered. Everyone said 'looks great! Cool rivers!' I just use it all to my advantage (or 'abuse it all to my advantage' as my friends say hahah).

For the next few games it still all open fields for me.

Thanks for the thoughts, I do sort of feel like Legion would be a point or two overpriced in an open fields match. Hmm I guess that's when I throw down with Khador ;)
-Andrew
NAUgamer/Andrew
theHman
Warboss
Warboss

Postby theHman » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:53 pm

Sounds like you're just a big cheater Andrew! :D

But in all seriousness, I always try to set up terrain in an equal way for both players.

Have you guys tried setting up the table so each of you places 2-3 pieces in alternating sequence?
Visit my blog for painting tips, WIPS and other cool junk - www.paintyominis.com
JBFlanz
Clan Chief
Clan Chief

Postby JBFlanz » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:19 pm

Terrain is fine. Stick to walls, hills, houses, forests, and small water features (swamps/ponds). Tell them it is a part of the game and that is how it works. Maybe you should try not to do that to them. Try refuging somewhere else. Is it the best move? No. But you have to consider how much fun your opponents are having. If they are not able to handle refuging angels, then also try helping them with the problem. All tricks have solutions.
WM/H: Khador, Trollbloods, Minions, and Mercs
Fantasy: Orcs & Goblins
40k: Orks
Malifaux:Outcasts minus the gremlins

NAUgamer
Bandmaster
Bandmaster

Postby NAUgamer » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:28 pm

Hahah it's even worse when we alternate who places a piece because it ends up asymetrical and there is complaining about that. And *someone* may place a forest/ruin/pond/whatever on the table and be called a cheater ;)

My friends and I strive for balanced, symetrical boards that aren't cluttered. Then I attack from a position that works best... oops!

Yeah Flanz, I'm also going to be toning down the tricks I pull... but that doesn't feel totally right, either. I'm not a bloodthirsty win-at-all-cost kind of guy, especially with my buddies in Flag. Not using spells, beasts, or tactics seems like I'm only playing half the game though.

Great thoughts folks, keep em coming!
Andrew
NAUgamer/Andrew
theHman
Warboss
Warboss

Postby theHman » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:11 pm

sounds like your friends need to take a wknd trip down to Phoenix and learn how to play the game better with their faction.
Visit my blog for painting tips, WIPS and other cool junk - www.paintyominis.com